S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL, car hesitates, lack of power.

Old 07-29-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this Info will help you guys later on...

OBD II

p1399

Note: listed as order from p-9

1st
P=powertrain
C=chassis
B=body
U=Undefine
;----------------

2nd #
1=Manufacturer
2+3=SAE Reservation
;----------------

3rd #
1 and 2=Fuel/Air
3=Ignition
4=Emission
5=Speed Control
6= PCM/or Outputs
7 and 8=Transmission
9=SAE
10=SAE
;---------------

The last 2 #s are Varies that identify what causes the prob. or "Code Definition"
Old 07-29-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

well to help you guys better understand it i guess, the car is completely stock as far as engine is concerned. I have not touched anything execpt oil changes. I did buy the car used with 4700 miles on it and sp prior to that I don't know what was done. Now most of Nates info is right for the most part, I did notice a slight hesitation on our way back, no CEL light. Temps were at normal as well. Next day in the morning no light as well, until my gas tank got empty and I had filled her up. This is when the CEL light came on solid after I had filled her up and then cranked the car. In fact I had driven the car back home from ATL a 5 hr trip and really no major problems except the loss of power feeling and the slight hesitation at the lower rpms. The honda dealer did tell me that they say 5% over 100psi is the normal for the compression test I believe, now if you say 10% then it maybe something else. I am not sure what it is. I will definetly let you know more as soon as I find out more.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:27 PM

i also wanted to say I appreciate everyones response. I just hope everything turns out alright. It just gets frusterating when they can't even really find the problem, and yet they just keep mentioning to me that it is a mechanical overev which I know that is not the case.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:32 PM

Well when I got MY04 I asked a mechanic about why did they lowered the REV limits, his respond was that the piston kept on hitting the valves which was a problem for the older models.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:44 PM

hmm thats wierd.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The 04's lower rev limit has nothing to do with a miss shift overrev. The piston speeds are to great a 9000rpm with the longer stroke of the 2.2L.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

can't help with the cause of the misfire, but the ecu does record the max revs so they will know if the engine has been over revved. Secondly, if the engine has over revved, then when they take the head off the pistons will show marks where they have hit the valves, not just on one cylinder but on all.

having just had my engine replaced due to a sheared valve stem under warranty, i am well and truly familiar with the over rev scenario as they thought my engine had failed for the same reason. if and when they pull the head, they will be able to see what has occured for definate.

apparantly, the f20 engine has had a few problems with valves sticking early in their life. this might be what has happened to you. but more likely i would imagine that the ecu has detected a misfire and gone into limp mode, hence the lack of power.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:05 AM

"It wasn't an over rev!"

- Office Space voice ("I'm a people person! I work with people!)
Old 07-30-2004, 10:56 AM

ok guys I just talked to honda a few mins ago. Well good news, it was not a bent valve. It ended up being the map sensor being off and the valves needed to be readjusted. He said my exhaust valves and stuff were a little tight. so I have no idea how that happened. I have to go pick up the car now so we will see. Thanks for the help everyone it just shows you guys know what you are talking about.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:27 AM

Woo hoo! Good news!

Poor Tej was so worried about his car this week. It was stressing him out big time, so it's good to know that he's okay now, and that the car is fixed.

Quick Reply: CEL, car hesitates, lack of power.