S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL, car hesitates, lack of power.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The S2000's PCM will not store a Overrev DTC like the RSX-S.

Unless you have the DTC this is all speculation what is wrong with the car.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they are incompetent. I hate having to take my car there for warranty issues, as they don't seem to have a clue. I've been there for three warranty issues, and it took them two tries to fix one of the problems.

I usually do work myself, or have my friend at Acura do it. In fact, I'd rather pay Acura than Honda, but all warranty work must be done at a Honda dealer. We'd have to go to the next city for other choices. And I'm not sure who would be best.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

well just got finsihed talking to honda again, they still dont know for sure, but they did say a p172 and a p1399 code was shown. Not sure what that is. they still believe a bent valve. ugh i dont know what to do now
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 AM

How long would the ECU store an overrev?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSAK,Jul 29 2004, 10:01 AM
well just got finsihed talking to honda again, they still dont know for sure, but they did say a p172 and a p1399 code was shown. Not sure what that is. they still believe a bent valve. ugh i dont know what to do now
Code P0172 = Fuel System Too Rich. This would be related to O2 and MAP sensors.

Code 1399 = Random Misfire. This can be caused by many, many things, from MAP to O2 sensors, to valves, to fuel system issues, to VTEC system, to low compression. Random misfires have also been known to be a result of a bad ECU, which was the cure for some cars.

It is most likely this second code that lead them to do the tests they did. A bent valve is generally (but not always) caused by an over-rev. If all these check out, then I hope they work their way through the other stuff right to the possibility of needing a new ECU.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:42 AM

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

well they said that the 3rd cyl had a 7% down from 100psi and the 4cyl had a 6% down from 100psi. So they still think bent valves, but dont knwo for sure. They mentioned sometihing about the cyln being a little tight not sure what that equates to as well. I know a 110% it was not an overrev, that is something I would know i did, and would make sense if it was pointing to a bent valve, this just happened out of nowhere. What other options would i have i if they do try to pin this down on me. I guess worse comes to worse i could send the head out somewhere and have them put better internals in. to help prevents this crap
Old 07-29-2004, 02:56 PM
Former Moderator

A leakdown result of less then 10% leakage is considered "acceptable" If a valve want bent and not sealing against the seat, the leakage % would be much higher.

Has anyone adjusted the valves recently? Insufficient valve clearance can skew the leakdown results and cause the same problems you are having.

Some more background info on your car would also help, such as any Mods, when the problem started, what was the last work perfomed on the car, Etc.

The P0172 means the PCM is adding more fuel than it should to keep the AF# were they should be. Why it is doing this, I can't say. The P1399 is a Temporary DTC for a misfire. Since it is a temporary DTC, the specific Cyl# is not known.

I'd wait untill they get an answer back to you, but given those leakdown results, a bent valve seems unlikely.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to ammend your title to make it more descriptive. This is an interesting topic and I think more people will be interested if the title reflected what was being talked about.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:38 PM

This happened during the SESM. After our trip from Baldwin Point, the CEL came on at some point during the ride back to the hotel. ZSAK noticed it had started blinking. I believe at one point it went off but then came back on. We checked the oil and found that it was a bit low, so we added more. The car still drove fine, despite the small loss of power or delay between 3-4K RPM's.

We let the car sit overnight and checked all fluids in the morning. Nothing was low, no leaks, no problems other than the CEL coming back on.

I spoke to my Acura guy about it, and he said that if it was a misfire code, then there is a chance that there is a bent rod, but there are many other potential problems that should also be looked at (as also mentioned by Slows2k). Hopefully, the Honda dealer will go through each thing. They were on the phone with Honda tech in Cali today trying to figure it out after doing the tests.

They wanted a scope to go into the engine and see if the rods were bent through the camera, but no one had one here locally. So I'm not sure what they will do next.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Former Moderator

They won't be able to inspect the connecting rods with a boroscope. Most likely they will be inspecting the cylinder walls and chambers/valves.

If the CEL was flashing, it was misfiring.

Quick Reply: CEL, car hesitates, lack of power.