S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL After Valve Adjustment

Old 07-29-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL After Valve Adjustment

So yesterday I did a valve adjustment on my 2000 s2k, after doing the adjustment I turned on the car the CEL came on for the first time in my ownership. I thought the CEL would be caused by a bad valve adjustment and since it was my first time it seemed like it very well could've been so I didnt check the CEL code and just decided to try again the next day. Today, I did another valve adjustment and after the adjustment this time when I started the car the CEL stayed on. I gave the car a couple small revs because everything sounded fine but after each of the revs the car sorta bogged down a couple hundred rpms and the engine would shudder for half a sec before going back to normal idle. I ran the CEL code and got the code P1362, the TDC sensor #1 having no signal. I double checked the connections and everything seemed fine so now I'm at a loss as to what to do next. It is worth noting however that after the first adjustment I totally forgot to plug one of the TDC sensors in (the one closest to the drivers side) and I ran the car without it being plugged in. But I turned the car off plugged it back in and started it again but to no avail the CEL stayed on. Any help?
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Disconnect the battery to re set/clear the ecu and then try it again.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Disconnect the battery to re set/clear the ecu and then try it again.
Alright I will try this tomorrow morning. But would something like the TDC sensor cause the engine to do that bog after rev? Its probably controlled by the ecu now that I think about it...
Old 07-30-2018, 03:01 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Yes the engine should not run correctly without both cam sensors.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:16 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Maybe you forgot to plug it back in when you closed up? I've done that. The car threw a code, can't recall which one. I freaked out but then discovered my error and it runs like a dream with no codes.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:54 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Be sure the cam sensor is fully seated (no gap) in the VC.

This mistake is usually made on the DBW single sensor cars, as the sensor is different and it is easy to not get it “snapped in” all the way.

Last edited by Billman250; 07-30-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 AM

Update: So today I checked the timing and everything looked fine in that regard then I put everything back together double checked then disconnected and reconnected the battery and the CEL went away! But when I started the car the engine sounded weak and was shaking a good amount, sounded like it had cams...could that be a misfire? Caused by the valve adjustment? Its weird this is happening because I havent done anything except put the VC back on and disconnect/reconnect the battery after yesterdays adjustment when It sounded fine besides the rev shudder.

Last edited by s2kprax; 07-30-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added more details
Old 07-30-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Its easy to get lost when trying to follow the process of how far to rotate the motor to adjust each valve.

If you aren't 100% percent certain every valve you adjusted had its cam lobe pointed UP, read below:

The best way, fastest, easiest, and virtually foolproof way to adjust valves is to ignore the instructions.

Instead, follow my simple rule for adjusting valves. Rotate motor until valve you want to adjust has its cam lobe pointing up, away from the follower.

Thats it. If lobe is up, adjust.

If you're too cautious to follow the radical idea of discarding instructions, you can still follow them AND follow the rule to make sure you don't screw up. If the valve you are about to adjust based on following the instructions does NOT have its cam lobe pointed up, STOP. You screwed up somewhere. Do over.

Follow this rule and its virtually impossible to screw up the valve adjustment.
The following users liked this post:
fatjoe10 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 02:05 PM

So I think everything is working fine now just had to check some connections and such. Only thing left now is to fix my idle that drops after the revs but people suggest cleaning the IACV so that is what I'm going to be doing now. I guess if you forget to plug in connections and a CEL comes on even if you plug it back in the CEL will stay on so you would just need to disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset the ecu. Engine sounds great now but the cover gasket is leaking from the side nearest the firewall, going to be putting some RTV gasket sealant on it to fix the leak as I just purchased this gasket last month and it shouldnt be leaking so early. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Do not use RTV to seal the gasket, this engine doesn't need it for the gasket to seal. If you put it in properly and torqued the valve cover bolts in sequence and in steps it should not leak at all. Any oil will be residual as the engine is slightly tilted and a little tends to pool up on the exhaust side.

Quick Reply: CEL After Valve Adjustment