S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Catalytic shield buzzing

Old 03-30-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic shield buzzing

OK, I've read a lot of threads about different kinds of noises... so my apologies if this has already been covered (but if so, please point me to the solution!!)

I bought a used '01 about a week ago, and the only annoying aspect of it is the terrible buzzing sound it makes upon deacceleration, when the engine is used for braking. I've read threads that mention the clutch disc, etc. but this sounds like it is coming from under the car, passenger side seat area, right around the area of the exhaust and catalytic converter.

So, after it cooled down, I take a look under there and there is a heat shield between the catalytic converter and the floor. Tapping on this shield rapidly makes a faint tin sounding vibration noise, which makes me believe it's the culprit! It sounds so similar!

Do you think this is it? Are there any high temperature fixes for this? I guess I'm looking for a high temperature dynamat equivalent or some kind of spray on high temp sound deadener, etc. Any ideas on how I could test to see if it is indeed causing it? (My only thought is to temporarily remove it and do a quick test drive.)

Please help! It is the only annoying complaint I have about this car!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I suppose it's possible that it's your heat shield, but given the model year of your car and from your description, it more likely that it's the clutch decel buzz. Does it happen when you decelerate the car primarily in 2nd or 3rd gear when passing through about 4500rpm to about 2000 rpm? And if you just sit there in neutral and rev it up to about 5000rpm and let go, it doesn't make the noise? Probably not. This is pretty typical of the clutch decel buzz. A heat shield will tend to make the noise when you do this sitting still.
But if it'll make you feel better, either remove the heat shield and then duplicate the noise (do it just like before, after a similar amount of driving the heat up the tranny and clutch OR, jam something between the heat shield and the floor in several places to stop the shield from vibrating and again try to duplicate the noise. I'll bet it'll still do it.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:14 PM

alot of times at work the area around the bolts will rust and break causing the heat shield to hit the cat instead of charging the customer a crazy amount for a heat shield we usually try to use a hose clamp around it hold it tight or drill a new hole in the shield and make a new place to bolt it.

try a hose clamp if its broke and see it that works for you
Old 03-30-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. Ive been having this exact problem. I dont think the clutch buzz pertains to MY02s so I suppose this is probably the problem. I was about to put my OEM exhaust back on in a few hours because I have thought that it must be the resinator in my Invidia exhaust. If the problem is due to the Cat heatshield...will Honda warranty the heatshield and replace it since im still within my warranty? Thanks!

Ryan
Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy,Mar 30 2005, 06:23 PM
I dont think the clutch buzz pertains to MY02s
ALL model years of S2000s can have the clutch buzz.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:50 PM

is it the factory warranty? or extended
best bet is just give your local dealership and call and ask one of the advisors
I actual had the same prob today with a 99 accord would only rattle under hard acceleration i tryed the hose clamp to see if that would work and also priced a sheild for them if it comes rattle comes back.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:24 PM

stop being a sissy and get under the car and take the heatshield off, everyone of my hondas has done this, nothing bad will happen, your floor will not get hot, nothing bad will happen, take the shield off and if its still doing it its the clutch buzz, and if your still under warrenty take your car in and have them fix it
Old 03-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

An 01 has been out of factory warrranty for 2 years. It's not likely an extended warranty will cover the clutch for a decel buzz. The clutch still functions normally, the decel buzz is a charachteristic of the car, and has been for 5 years. The 00-01's where blessed with a noisier version.

A loose/rusty/broken heatshield is much more common on vehicles that spend time in a salt environment. It wouldn't hurt to take a look, but my $$ is on the clutch buzz.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Mar 30 2005, 08:55 PM
An 01 has been out of factory warrranty for 2 years. It's not likely an extended warranty will cover the clutch for a decel buzz. The clutch still functions normally, the decel buzz is a charachteristic of the car, and has been for 5 years. The 00-01's where blessed with a noisier version.

A loose/rusty/broken heatshield is much more common on vehicles that spend time in a salt environment. It wouldn't hurt to take a look, but my $$ is on the clutch buzz.
Hmmm...im 90% positive that mine occurs even during acceleration. It usually was making the most noise at 3500, 4500, and 5500 RPMs. I figured it was because that is where the majority of drone occurs with the invidia. It specifically hits at certain RPMs. Im bringing my car in Friday, so I will have them look at both anyways. What is the TSB about the clutch buzz and what can they do about it? Thanks!

Ryan
Old 03-30-2005, 10:20 PM

I won't take a guess at it being one or the other mentioned problems above but many Honda models have issues with rattling heatshields (Civic, Integra, Accord, S2000, maybe others?)

Definitely remove it and see if that fixes the problem. If not then back to the drawing board. If you hit something going down the road it can bend the flexible shields causing them to rub/vibrate.

Quick Reply: Catalytic shield buzzing