S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Card in bike spokes noise only on cold start of engine

Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card in bike spokes noise only on cold start of engine

Dear All,

I have already scoured several TCT and card in bike spokes topics but none seem to quite be the same as my issue so I thought i'd post a thread so the s2ki experts can diagnose the problem (as my local honda wont have a clue as usual!) and so if anyone else has the exact same issue they can benefit from the thread.

The problem is as follows (assuming its just one problem);
-Card in bike spokes noise directly after startup for 2 seconds
-Only occurs on cold start or when engine has been sitting for more than an hour
-Car runs fine, couldn't be smoother, even under max acceleration
-Oil level is right on top X
-Directly after card in bike spokes noise, if hood is put up a light knocking noise can be heard coming from the engine. It is about 3-4 taps a second and very faint. it can only be heard when infront of the engine but with your head down low so its almost touching the top of the front bumper, or on the drivers side. It appears to be coming from the front left side of the engine, from the TCT area. this noise disappears completely after it has run for a few minutes. with the hood down, or in the car the knocking cannot be heard. The knocking noise can be described as a dull thud/tap. The knocking does not sound metallic or 'tingy' like a piston slap.
- car is on 96,000 kms, and valve adjustment was done at 80,000.
- apart from noise, car runs completely normal.
- last little quirk that has occurred would have been after 80,000km service while accelerating at the top of the rev range say between 8-9k, a card in bike spokes noise could be heard for about a second or so like a buzz, but only happened intermittently a few times, then disappeared.

I guess the possible cause(s) from what i've read at this point would be;
- faulty TCT
- valves out - valve adjustment required
- stretched timing chain
- carbon build up on lifters
- piston slap from minor scuff in cylinder bore, but as pistons heat up and expand disappears (definitely hope not!!!)
- starter motor?

Would appreciate any advice or feedback. I will take it down to honda but I just want to be armed with some information first, and if parts are required, try and purchase them online as its far cheaper then take it down.

Thanks a million!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM

ok the noise on startup is definitely this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fD0wXdMbkUU

looks like i need to get myself a new TCT. i'll replace it and then update as to whether the rest of the noises disappear.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tct, i sanded mine with some sandpaper, one year and no noise
Old 01-20-2013, 04:33 AM

apme123, thanks for the tip. I dont mind doing a bit of DIY myself, but usually its to do with bolt on parts or things outside the engine. I'm a bit hesitant to fiddle with anything going directly into the engine. I see there is a DIY for TCT repair or replacement (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/808...r/page__st__25). For me to remove the TCT and check it out/sandpaper it, then put it back in - is this a moron proof procedure? I see putting in a new TCT does have some risk in that you need to pull out the cotter pin once it is already installed - if you somehow managed to drop it inside the engine this would be a fairly major headache. I'm happy to give it a shot provided its just a simple unbolt, inspect, and bolt in again. Would appreciate your advice.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes: Its like two bolts or so (cant remember) and its out. As long as you dont try to start it with the tct out youll be fine. And there is only one way it can go back in. Done this like 3 times already, pm if any questions.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 PM

thanks - you guys are the best! Will give it a try and report back any findings.