S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Carbon Fibre Exhaust Possible?

Old 12-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fibre Exhaust Possible?

Hi, I have been wondering if a full carbon fibre exhaust system can be made? And i don't just mean the muffler, i mean the whole system. Some questions i have with this are;

- Would the carbon melt? (does anyone know the melting point for carbon fibre?)
- Would it be strong enough?
- Would anyone really buy it? lol

Please try to answer my question because I have been dyeing to know if it is possible...

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbon is flammable. I'm not sure how much heat it could handle before it caught fire. Now maybe you could try kevlar?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be plenty strong. They make drive shafts out of carbon for the s2k. People would definitely buy it.. albeit would be very expensive I reckon. As mentioned above though, don't know if it could sustain the extreme heat.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:53 PM

On a motorbike they still only make carbon mufflers and mostly stainless pipes. I have never seen carbon tubing on a bike (where weight matters even more) or on F1 cars either.

I think if it were worthwhile some exotic car company (or motorbike) would have done it already. In short, I don't think it is feasible.

Titanium would be just as cool... do that!
Old 12-24-2005, 11:10 PM

F1 cars use a super expensive Nickel called Inconel (sp).
Old 12-24-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carbon does not melt.

Carbon can be in many forms, some of which will burn and some of which will not. Gasoline is mostly carbon. Diamonds are carbon.

Carbon fiber composites are made up of fibers of carbon held together by a resin. One of the things that makes them so useful is that by changing the number of plies of fibers, thr type of resin, the orientation of the fibers, the cure cycle, etc. you can create parts designed just for your application.

The main reason it would not be used in exhaust systems is cost. However, I could also see there being issues in terms of chemical reactions between the carbon fibers or resins and the exhaust gasses. Plus, it would be inflexible and relatively fragile -- road debris could easily break it.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Banned

I see... well so maby an exhaust can be made out of kevlar?... I guess it would be a little expensive but if you think about it an Amuse exhaust could cost as much (if not more) and not be as light or as exotic?!?

But anyway, what's the lightest exhaust out there?... trying to figure out if I can make a lighter exhaust (probably not haha but its worth a try if i have a chance).

Oh yeah, btw, I wanted to know this question not as much for the S2000 but I am going to build a car and trying to make it as light as possible... lighter than an elise hopefully with a little more comforts.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Former Sponsor

There are plenty of titanium products that fit the bill. Making carbon fiber tubing would never hold up with the way that exhausts flex and move while they are on the car. If you ever get the chance to pick up a titanium exhaust in person, you'll be amazed at how light & strong that metal is.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:34 AM

By the way, I was amazed with J's Racing Dual Titanium once I got it. It was extremely light and I lifted the whole system with one hand. Here is the picture (am thinner now than the picture shown ).
Old 12-26-2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by basslover911,Dec 25 2005, 11:06 PM
But anyway, what's the lightest exhaust out there?... trying to figure out if I can make a lighter exhaust (probably not haha but its worth a try if i have a chance).
I don't know if it's the lightest, but I know that my Amuse R1000 is about 9 lbs. If it was just a straight pipe, without a "muffler", it would probably weight about 3 or 4 lbs. Honestly, I can't imagine CF being any lighter... even if it was feasible to make an exhaust out of it.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fibre Exhaust Possible?