S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Carbon Dynamics Airbox - picture inside - comments please

Old 05-16-2003, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon Dynamics Airbox - picture inside - comments please

The web site is http://www.bmcairfilter.com/index.asp

It looks huge, especially compared to the PRM, which I heard will be in limited (or non-existent) supply for the near future.

Any comments on how well it would function, compared to the PRM or AEM/Injen CAI's? It is pricy, but it avoids having to cut anything on the car as with the AEM/Injen type, and also makes for easier filter cleanings/changes.

This intake apparently comes with about 2' of flexible intake ducting that connects to the intake side of the airbox, and I was thinking about routing that through the hole that the PRM horn would point towards, and down to where my faux vent is cut out.

I wonder who's car that is in the picture...
Old 05-16-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe it will work like the PRM,just by looking...IMO i don't think it will have the same gains as an INJEN/AEM/4ig CAI...looks like stock piping connected to a cf muffler IMO...good luck...hopefully some people or the company can chime in here
Old 05-16-2003, 07:03 AM

Someone left their exhaust in the hood
Old 05-16-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice big airbox with a ram air connection isn't a bad idea, but I wish people would stop using the stock filter/intake pipe setup. A longer, slightly larger diameter smooth bore tube connected to a large box would be better. Comptech is halfway there, but they need a larger sealed box and cold air ducting.

UL
Old 05-16-2003, 09:03 AM
cbj

UL,

Since you think Comptech is halfway there do you have any opinion on K&N's setup? The "box" is pretty small as well and it doesn't have cold air ducting, but it seems to me if you combined either of these setups with an IDI/Aus/Spoon-type snorkel it would at least provide the cold air. Wouldn't do anything about the small box though.

Chiung,

Sorry to hijack your thread.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:23 AM

Hey - no problem - brainstorming is good and is exactly what I was hoping for. Frankenstein intakes don't bother me, as long as they perform better than OEM and free up some room under the hood so I can change oil from above (fumoto valve).

I was thinking an AEM or Injen short intake tube (I think one of them makes one) connected to this airbox, with the ram air connection that UL mentioned. Does anyone have a picture of a short ram, or HAI, that shows how long the tube is and what direction it is pointed towards?

If you look on the website I linked, you'll see that they make smaller airboxes, 6" diameter and 8" long (apx), but the diameter of the airbox outlet is rather small (3.34"). Isn't the OEM TB closer to 4" i.d.?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:22 PM

Ah yes...intake talk. My favorite watering hole. The BMC intake, as designed for the S2000, supposedly has a poor fit in the car (several opinions from our overseas brothers) despite what the photo may indicate. There are several other manufacturers utilizing the sealed filter solution. MonsterFilter, Pipercross Viper, etc. First off, the accordian plumbing needs to find a dipsty dumpster. Useless. Any decent intake SHOULD (Mugen and I believe J's not withstanding) utilize a tube exactly as UL described. I believe the filter-inside-a-box solution to avoid heat soak has plus' and minus' (as described in my recent filter thread in the photo forum) but it's almost mandatory to have some additional air getting to the canister entrance. If such a set-up works well for open-air filters (as it does), then the results when used with canisters or "venturi affect" intakes should be even more promising. There is enough room in that passenger side wheel well to snake up some flex tube and create a nice route from the faux brake duct area (dremel that sucker away) to your filter location. I'm not a huge fan of using the snorkel solution because I don't like the crimp at the top. Something with a constant inside diameter will work much better, even if it's smaller than your intake opening. The BMC intake for the S2000 is more than $350 (last time I checked). For that kind of spread, I'd opt for the Comptech and nail down a nice flow path from the brake duct straight up into their air box. Either that, or definitely hit the PRM before Gerry finally gets so overworked they'll find him dribbling on himself next to a piece of silicone hose.
Filter down low? Not my route but others like the AEM, Injen, and now, the K&N Typhoon. The air is cooler down there, but a pipe which begins down low with the filter safely up top is still drawing the same cooler air which resides in front of the vehicle at speed.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:34 PM

Thanks Russ - I'm sure I'm covering ground you've traveled well. Do you know whether any PRM's are available?
Old 05-16-2003, 06:39 PM

While we are talking intakes. Any one want to comment on the Roar.

The fan in the housing pull cold air to the filter.

Old 05-17-2003, 08:08 AM

I would rather eat pre-chewed peanut brittle than buy the ROAR. The history between S2ki.com and ROAR began just as after I bought my car and it's ugly. Lots of promises, no delivery. I believe they switched ownership so maybe things have improved. I'm not feeling that dryer hose though in the engine bay, especially for the price they want ($300+). I'm not convinced their electric supercharger works either but take my .02 for whatever it's worth. It took six bottles of toothpaste to get the ROAR taste out of my mouth.
As for the PRM, I'm sure Gerry still has some left. Contact prmracing.com for the hook-up.