S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Carbon Composites bolted to Aluminum (The Head)

Old 12-19-2003, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ninegrand
Interesting info on the CF corrosion.

FWIW the top link you provided is for a heatshield that is fairly similar to the one offered by Nzaizar/Ricks. The mounting bracket is made of aluminum and bolts up to the aluminum head. The only CF to Aluminum contact is between the shield and the mounting bracket.

Not seeing a CF valve cover??
The heat shield is what made me start the Post. I brought up valve cover in the end off my post coz, inside of valve cover the Al head and CF valve are in an electrolyte (oil). This makes things worse. The electrolyte doesn't have to be water!!!

As far as the heat shield, if there is a braket seperating it from the head, it should not be made of Al. Ti or Stianless Steel is better.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blitz,

What's your take on brass and aluminum? I have the Fumoto oil drain valve which is made of brass, but decided any migration would happen over a long time (at least longer than the life of the car) due to their proximity on the galvanic chart.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:21 AM

MacGyver,

As far as corrosion goes a Brass plug bolted to an Steel Oil Pan (if its Steel, didn't check), the plug is protected against corrosion by the steel!!!

Yes, the steel will corrode prefencially, but the area of the oil pan is much greater then the plug. So the Steel corrosion will neglegable. Your oil pan will be okay.

Brass usually fails due to dezincification, pitting, or stress corrosion cracking. The oil plug experiences very low or none of these conditions. The Brass Plug will be okay.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlitzSRM
MacGyver,

As far as corrosion goes a Brass plug bolted to an Steel Oil Pan (if its Steel, didn't check), the plug is protected against corrosion by the steel!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:58 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are installing a Fumoto valve, you are probably using a gasket washer, and not the crush washer used with the stock drain plug. The gasket washer acts as an insulator, preventing galvanic corrosion from the atmosphere. The threads are immersed in oil, but this will not cause a galvanic corrosion problem.

If you are using the stock crush washer, any galvanic corrosion will attack the zinc plating on the washer. But remember that the engine is warm when you are driving, not allowing any aqueous chloride solution to do its damage. You'd have to literally be immersed in a very salty puddle to get the salt to do any damage even to the crush washer.

Interesting info on Graphite/Aluminum galvanic corrosion, Blitz. I didn't know there was a problem with any non-metallic material, although it does make sense since graphite is highly conductive. As a metallurgist, I've been involved with galvanic corrosion issues relating to design, and graphite was never mentioned.