S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car wouldnt start after spinning out?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I think that a lot of times the car spins there is some rearward movement of the car that could cause the car to "backspin" the engine. Most of the time though by the time the car reaches this piont it has stalled or the intial rearward movement causes a stall, hence the term "when you spin, both feet in", this will keep the car running and prevent any potential damage (although unlikely).

From my own experiance if you spin and stall be sure to check vaccum fittings. I spun my K20 and poped a vaccum cap off, caused the car to run strange until I figured it out.

As far as the issue with the DBW cars are you sure it is not an issue with the "VSA" cars?? Yes I know that they are the same thing, just pointing out that my guess is it has to do with the VSA system. Something may confuse the ABS which causes it to take some time to start working again. Just my guess
Old 03-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect that the VSA sensors get really confused. They generally expect all the speeds (the four wheels and the drive line) to be coordinated. When they are not, the computer may shut itself down because it's not sure what is wrong.

Once you start driving normally again, the sensors will all start sending normal data. That should mean that a few moments later the computers will regain their composure and go back to normal.

But this is all a guess. Since I have an '02, I have not experienced any of this VSA specialness.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Like I noted, I have a 01, my car started hard after a friend stalled the car out.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonov,Mar 10 2009, 02:12 PM
Bringing back from the dead
In my 06, when I have a spin, all the ABS/VSA/CEL/SRS lights turn on. The ABS for sure doesn't work when this happens (don't ask me how I know) and remains that way for a while. In one instance I even disconnected the negative terminal after a session, waited 10min and the ABS still didn't work.

Anybody know why this is so on DBW cars, and if possible a way around it?

Thanx in advance.

Dino
why dont you turn the VSA off???? was it at an auto x??? when i do any kind of racing i always turn my VSA off even in auto x and i never got the "all lights turn on" problem when i spin out...but then again i put both "feet in". Maybe it freaks out the VSA when you spin out when you have it on since well, you know its supposed to "prevent" spin outs
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As everyone has confirmed, 'both feet in' on a guaranteed spin is rule 1. You know it's coming, it's no feat of super-human reaction time.

The one that is harder to burn into the brain is to keep your foot in the throttle when you're over-steering on throttle and heading towards a wall or guardrail. That takes time and several extra pair of undies to learn.

But yeah, always slow to start after a spin.