S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car Wont Start. Weird Symptoms. Plz Help!

Old 09-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Car Wont Start. Weird Symptoms. Plz Help!

Hey guys, I have a 2008 model year with a custom turbo kit on it. Car ran great up until 2 weeks ago when all of a sudden it didn't want to start. I've read possibly every thread on this issue and found no solution.

I plugged up my Flashpro and was able to pull this code: U0107

When I go to turn the ignition on everything turns on as it normally does (except now it has an EPS light and check engine light on). Fuel pump primes normally. Green immobilizer key light turns on then off. Normal. But when I depress the clutch then go to hit the "engine start" button all I hear is a single click, no engine crank.

Here's where things get weird. 1 week ago I replaced the battery, battery terminals, and my starter with a denso unit which did not solve my problem; same symptoms. I then checked all my fuses and eps unit and everything appeared to be in-tact (no loose connections or corrosion). Yesterday I go to try it again and it cranked and fired right up. I drove it to work and back home. Great! I thought maybe the issue resolved itself. Later that night I go to start the car again and the same problem! Car will just click once and will not turn the engine over. Voltage at the battery is 12.5volts. What the hell could be the problem? And why did it all of a sudden work one day then stop next? Could the EPS unit itself be bad? And what is a U0107 code?

I'm thinking of replacing my ground wire altogether. It seems to me the problem should be electrical related since I'm having these weird inconsistent issues and symptoms. There was some corrosion on the negative terminal when I replaced them last week but nothing over the top or anything I havent seen before. So although this may be a solution, I dont think it is a likely one. Anything else I should check? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 1,313 Likes on 997 Posts

U0107 is lack of comm with the throttle actuator based upon a quick search.

EPS and CEL always come on when you turn the key on before you start the car so that is normal.

Battery voltage sounds good (when it does run ensure you see charging voltage) and should crank it over fine.

Did you test the output from the ignition relay? Sounds like you are hearing a click, but that could be the relay closing, but if the contacts are dirty or damaged it may not be passing current through it.

And yes, check your grounds well to make sure that is not the issue.

You could check the clutch swtich, but if the relay is clicking then I believe that removes that as a possible cause. If the clutch is not depressed (or the clutch switch is bad) then you would not hear the click.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Yes, when the clutch is depressed it will click once every time the start button is pressed. When the clutch is NOT depressed, nothing. I think we can rule out the problem is not the clutch switch.
With the ignition on, I can also hear my throttle body open and close with the depression of the gas pedal. Also to note again, when it magically started up yesterday the car drove perfectly fine without any problems.

Where is the ignition relay?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 1,313 Likes on 997 Posts

I have a shop manual at home but am not there right now :P I believe it is one of the three identically sized relays in the under dash fuse panel, but you will want to double check that. That would be the starter cut relay. I "think" it is the middle of the three. Likely someone on here has posted about it in the past.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Verify you have adequate charging voltage from your alternator and battery voltage as well. Clean and check
grounds and spade connector on starter is fully seated
Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

I'm thinking its something to do with the starter/connection to it. For shits (on a day it doesn't start) try fiddling with the leads to it and plug.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Received 442 Likes on 374 Posts

Bad connection on the starter solenoid or the starter cut relay is a good start to check.
This is a pic from another thread but it shows it's the middle relay in the fuse box.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts

My bet is on starter relay. When they start to go out they do funny things like work intermittently.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:08 PM

Okay I'll check those items when I get some time to wrench on it again. Thanks for your guys' input. I'll report back with findings
Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 PM

It wasnt the relays...and my car is missing the taillight relay for some reason

Quick Reply: Car Wont Start. Weird Symptoms. Plz Help!