S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car won't start suddenly, good power, new battery

Old 11-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ailure-921518/
Old 11-05-2020, 11:22 AM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

The alternator is not charging the battery properly if you don't get 14 v running.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:58 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

...and 12.3v is a near dead battery. That would barely start a car. 12.6v is the normal voltage.

You want an oem alternator, not aftermarket. So fix yours instead.

Its probably the voltage regulator. Might as well change the rectifier while you are in there. Remove alternator, disassemble, replace parts. You can buy these parts on ebay, Amazon, etc. There are diy threads on it. Part numbers, etc.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solved. It is an aged alternator + a bad battery sold by Autozone. Now the vehicle flies.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:41 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I was going to suggest holding the start button a bit longer to ensure it starts before releasing, but I see that the issue was with the battery.

The S2000 start button is not like most modern cars today which are a simple one touch button. The S2000 button has to be held until the car starts, much like old key ignitions.
It literally is a Start ER button lol. It serves no logical purpose but making it more "Race car". I have had a few try to press it again to turn the car off like a new pushbutton start car operates! It is one of the few totally un-needed and mostly useless design features on this car.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:11 PM

Couldn't disagree more. Start button is perfect. It has one job, and it does it well. You can start the car even while you're putting it back in neutral with other hand.

Its very much like the Start button on a motorcycle.

Its the modern Start Stop buttons that are bad design.

A single action that circumstantially does two completely opposite actions, one of which can be a life safety issue, and might need to be performed under extreme duress.

Opposite results should require opposite actions. Under duress, you act urgently, but mindlessly. You do what you normally do, just in a panicked fashion.

Fire drills are meant to create an association between that noise and exiting that way. In survivable plane crashes, people have been known to mindlessly stop and get their luggage from overhead bin, because that is how they'd normally exit.

Further, a Start Stop button is typically talking to the ecu. Software can be unpredictable. What happens if ecu gets in some sort of unresponsive loop state, where it doesn't 'see' your inputs? Finally after several, potentially deadly seconds, ecu has a beief window of scanning for user input. In that brief instant, if you don't happen to have button pressed, window evaporates (likely most people would be furiously mashing the button over and over at this point,so window couod easily be missed.)

By contrast, a toggle type switch could just be flipped to Off, or Stop, and when ecu was able to break out of loop to scan for inputs, it would see the Stop command and likely execute it.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:07 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Couldn't disagree more. Start button is perfect. It has one job, and it does it well. You can start the car even while you're putting it back in neutral with other hand.

Fire drills are meant to create an association between that noise and exiting that way. In survivable plane crashes, people have been known to mindlessly stop and get their luggage from overhead bin, because that is how they'd normally exit.

That very logic supports my point.

Every production car for eons has an ignition switch that you turn past the last click to start the car. That is what people are used to. When you go changing it for no reason it is more likely to cause confusion, even if it is a "better" idea supposedly.

And in this case, there is no long term issues with regular old ignition switches, aka no big driving reason to change. The primary issue with normal ignition systems is keyway wear which this does not solve. So it adds another part and potential failure point without solving a primary failure point.

Being able to put the car in neutral with the other hand while starting is not really even worth mentioning. I cannot tell you one time I was like "man I wish I could move my hand from this shifter back to the ignition switch faster".

And now with the modern start stop systems it makes it worse since people do not know and grind the starter trying to turn the car off. Cant blame Honda for that part really since this system predated the new ones.

Dont get me wrong, it is "neat" and I do not really mind it. I was not hating on it as much as pointing out how purpose built this car is yet there is this one purely aesthetic (makes it more like the F1 car dash) thing that really does not serve as a design improvement.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:03 PM

I agree it adds some amount of complexity and doesn't address a common failure point.

While it involves some change from eons of design, it doesn't change the process for shutting off the car. In an emergency, doing what you'd do in any other car still works.

It adds a protection in that the old school ignition switch you could lose your place and accidentally engage starter when you didn't mean to. By segregating that function to its own single function button, it eliminated that possibility (though ironically, as you point out, made it worse once Start Stop button was invented).

It works exactly the same as virtually every motorcycle keyed ignition and start button combination. In that application, it allows being in contact with the other control inputs even as you start the engine.

They could have put a traditional keyed ignition on the left side of column, but I always liked their solution better.

In a modern, keyless ignition, if they simply would have used a knob based toggle switch, in the traditional location on the column where keyed ignition has always been, it would have retained the opposite action for opposite result, and been immediately familiar to everyone used to keyed ignition.

My winter dd has modern Start Stop button. When battery gets too low, if car fails to start, ecu gets into a confused state where it can no longer accept input to shut everything down. Headlights stay on, dash is on, systems are on. Can't turn them off. So battery drains further, and much faster. Lights start flickering, relays clicking. All sorts of weird stuff happens. If there was a switch that could be physically placed into off position, it should eliminate this sad scenario.

If car is running, and you want to shut it off, but leave it in 'accessory' position, you have to cycle through off, then on, then accessory, all with the same button. To access all the functions of a traditional keyed ignition requires multiple presses of the button, in concert with some combination of brake depressed or not.

I prefer to control when, and for how long, the starter is engaged when I operate my vehicles.