S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car won't start! Please help! (vid inside)

Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start! Please help! (vid inside)

http://youtu.be/OcT3L-UaFrw

Started just fine at the house. Stopped at Valero for a fill up. When I went to turn the car back on, this is what happened..

First thing I thought was battery. So I took the battery out real quick, took it to AutoZone and the battery checks out just fine and passed all tests. So I had the car towed back to my house and went through the bitch of a process taking out the starter.. Took it to AutoZone and just like the battery, passed all tests and checked out fine. What else could it be?? I was thinking ignition switch but if it was that, wouldn't I not hear a click at all?

EDIT: Car now starts but bad noise coming from what sounds like top of engine @ post #22
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

try turning the motor over with a 19 mm socket and ratchet it almost sounds like the engine is locked up hows the oil level has the car sat for a long time injectors could have stuck causing hydro lock just brain storming first i would check ground and engine and chassis looks to be drawing a lot of juice when you hit the button check some of this and post results also can you put it in 6th gear and turn motor if i moves but not much take the plugs out and try the starter button again just don't look down the holes just in case the cylinders are full of fuel [you'll put your eye out] good luck
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the engine could be stuck, can you turn the crank over by hand when not in gear?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:02 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Battery test passed but check your terminals to see of they're tight.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 AM

I've noticed with my car that when the battery dies and you have to jump start it with a jumper box you need to wait a little while before the battery has enough juice to crank the motor over. This car has high compression and it needs a lot of juice to crank. Whenever this happens to my car I put the car in sixth gear and try to rock it back and fourth to try to free up the motor a little bit.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

try tapping the starter with a hammer if the motor spins freel. sounds like a starter is bad to me
Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 PM

I have been driving this car daily without any issues and I just changed the oil a week ago. Oil level is 2 cm below the H mark.
The terminals were fine, no corrosion and they were nice and tight. We even tried jump starting from my parents Odyssey, same thing. Checked a couple of grounds under the starter and the one from the battery. What other grounds or relays could I check? Haven't tried spinning the wheel by hand. I'll try that when I get back from Austin.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bench test the starter that's probably it it sounds electrical one sec it works the other it doesn't
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Your engine is locked up.

TRY TURNING IT WITH A WRENCH! First responder s2k manic was right on.

Your starter is working fine, I can hear it.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Put starter back in and everything back together. Tripple checked all the connections, checked grounds, checked fuses, don't really know what relays to check since I couldn't find any starter relays. The engine will turn counterclockwise with a wrench but not clockwise. I really, really don't want to get the s2k towed to a mechanic but that sounds like my only option now.. Anyone else think of anything?

Would it be a good idea to try to start the engine by rolling the car down a hill and popping the clutch? Or could that further damage things if the engine really is locked up?

Quick Reply: Car won't start! Please help! (vid inside)