S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car Wont Start and I'm 1 day from Fall Colors!!!!

Old 10-23-2003, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaving as we speak to go to Autozone and have it tested.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tenblade2001
ok, I'll head to Autozone and have them check it out.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:33 AM

Senior Battery Moments or dirty battery terminals. During the recent "mod" session (paint shop) the car probably sat for a long time unused. This does two things to batteries.

1. The battery was probably disconnected for most of the time allowing the terminals to oxidize - cleaning the terminals and tightening them will help this problem.

2. The internal led plates oxidize during long periods of inactivity (normal drain/charge cycles slow this process). Later this oxidation flakes off accumulating at the bottom of the battery covering up the bottom portion of the led plates and reducing charge capacity - new battery is the only fix for this problem.

These problems will affect most a battery that is already on its way out.

Another, Very, Extremely Unlikely - charging system problem that is actually overcharging your battery causing the acid to evaporate and reducing the charge capacity - new battery and new alternator/regulator.

In the old days, it seemed like there was no warning when the battery reached the end of life. One day it would start, and the next everything is dark. I've noticed in the last couple of years that my Honda's actually give a few days of start/not start time before failing completely.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:52 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
2. Remove both battery terminals. Remove the negative(-, probably black wire, first. I don't want to take the time to explain why. Just remove the '-' first. Put the "-" wire back on last.) Use whatever you have to clean the terminals (the inside of the holes in the terminals)
Old 10-23-2003, 06:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, clicking sound usually means the starter solenoid going but the starter isn't. Not enough juice getting to it. So concentrate on the battery of connections. Do a voltage test before and after a cold start. This will tell you about the health of the battery as well as the health of the charging system. Voltage before should be around 12 (give or take 0.5), after about 14-15V.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

tenblade,

This is why I asked about any sound when you went to start the car. I agree with the comments above about the battery or the possability of a bad terminal connection. I was also expecting you to say that other electrical items stopped working when you pushed the start button, but maybe you weren't operating any other items at the same time. It usually goes: press button, solenoid clicks, lights dim, windows stop. Release button, lights get bright, windows work etc.

Anyway, the batteries in our cars are very small to save weight. Yours is two years old. It could be dying. Was it cold out when you had this problem? Cold will usually push border line batteries over the edge. Check all the connections. If battery, solenoid and starter connections all look good, get the battery checked out. Places like Sears, Pep Boys and others can check this out for you, but it is up to you whether you trust them or not. This might also be a good excuse to go buy an auto electrical tester which will test your alternator, battery, etc. That is what I would do. If we need to push you at Fall Colors, we will.

Oh, by the way, since we will be at Antrim Honda on Saturday anyway, why don't you just call them now and schedule an electrical test!

Edit: Sorry, I posted after I read the first page and before I saw you were already heading out to Auto Zone. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2003, 06:53 AM

Bill, Viper, Turbo, et al....
Thanks again. For a second I thought it was the battery. I agree the ticking/clicking usually indicates a bad battery, but the fact that everything else worked fine (windows, top, lights). So, I ttok the car to autozone, and those guys said the battery was fine. Well, I get back in the car, go to fire it up and the friggin thing wouldn't start. Again, no intial beeping. I lifted up the hood, checked my battery terminals/connections and they're good. I go to dealership...down the road, buy a battery and get ready to install it. I try one last time, for kicks to see if it will start, and it does! Everything seemed normal. I put the key in, it beeped, and then it turned over. ARRGGG!!!! I am thinking about installing the battery anyway, since I bought it.
I talked to my Honda serv department here, and they said the likelyhod of them finding something when its working is low. So basically, they suggested I wait till it happens again and tow it to them.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:23 AM

Just bring the new battery along to FC

Even if you leave the old one in, you'll have a lot of able push-starters with you on the trip up.

I'm a good pusher and I know Tony's a good pusher. I can't speak for April's dad but I can say April is good at watching everybody else push, so you've even got a qualified push-start supervisor!

I'd say you're in pretty good shape regardless of what you decide.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:32 AM

edit
Old 10-23-2003, 09:04 AM

Try another Key.
could be the imobilzer not working right.

Quick Reply: Car Wont Start and I'm 1 day from Fall Colors!!!!