S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car wont start after clutch install!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start after clutch install!

OK guys so i just did my first clutch job on the s2k. I have a lift in my garage but this was my first clutch install ever. I ordered an exedy PP, disk and a lightweight flywheel. I also replaced a master cylinder and slave cylinder.... now once i got the clutch in and installed and everything back together, the d@mn thing wont CRANK OVER at all. i turn the ignition, everything turns on, but nothing... i checked the starter fuse (7.5amp) and i can hear the fuel pump kickin in...

I have a few suspicions-
1- is the clutch release button on the clutch pedal getting messed up so it wont start?
2- Did i screw something up when i pulled the top starter bolt (thing was a B**** to get)
3- this may seem stupid but should i be able to pull the shift fork forward with my hand? like the motion that the slave cylinder does.. because i cant... (paranoid i put the clutch in wrong or backwards lol)
4- is there any way i forgot to plug in a connector on the trans (dont think so because there is only a few....)

PLEASE help me.. i need my daily driver back asap! my cell is 612 655 2711 if anyone wants to shoot me a text otherwise email me!

And big thanks to BILLMAN250 for the multiple writeups on how to pull the trans.
thanks everyone.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

I would check to see if all of the grounds are connected properly, there is one behind the head and two that go from the block to the frame on the driver side.

I assume the wires on the starter are in tact and you didn't disconnect them, but worth checking nonetheless.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 PM

ill go try! i never disconnected the battery terminal but i may have forgotten the one on the left side... idk if that is the one youre talking about
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM

ok i just looked, and from what im looking at there is not a gound on any of the bolts that go from the trans case to the engine? i dont remember there being one on the top bolt... i have the trans all bolted up and cant see all the way up there. any other ideas?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so it doesn't crank, or click whatsoever? Starter relay. Clutch switch. Just think back, and look around more, its probably something very easy. Even an unplugged switch.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM

guys, i think i got it. There is a little wire on the starter that i can feel flopping around. like a 14 gague wire what feels like it clips on the starter. i put it on the starter and boom it fired up! now i just have to figure out where on the back of the starter it goes.... Flyin blind!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nickbest
guys, i think i got it. There is a little wire on the starter that i can feel flopping around. like a 14 gague wire what feels like it clips on the starter. i put it on the starter and boom it fired up! now i just have to figure out where on the back of the starter it goes.... Flyin blind!
Should be diagrams online for it.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 AM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Yeah that is one of the starter wires I was referring to, it is a female wire connector that goes on a small male terminal on the front face of the starter - tricky to see at the best of times though.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM

Ahhhhhh, that fawking spade connector that I know so well.. I replaced my starter and I guess that connector disconnected itself when I was pulling it out so I didn't know that I needed to plug it back in when I put the new one in cause I had no idea that other wire existed!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine likes to vibrate off from time to time.... depending on how big your hand and arm is, you can weasel it throught driver side of the motor from the top,along the heater hose. then grab hold of the wire. If you look carefully you can see the contact point by looking down through the top of the intake

Quick Reply: Car wont start after clutch install!