S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car won't start

Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

Car won't start after I have pulled out and rebuild the motor. I checked the grounds and correctly connected the one behind the head. Pretty positive its getting fuel since I smell a fuel after I try turning it on. I have no idea whats keeping it from working please help.

Here is a video of me trying to start it. http://youtu.be/3hRTcMnmRvQ
Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Are you sure you put the fuel pump fuse back in?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Check compression. Then I'd test spark and fuel pressure.

Cam/crank sensor plugged in?
Old 08-25-2012, 04:18 PM

I guess I never took the fuel pump fuse out when I relieved my fuel pressure. The 15amp fuse was still there and I checked it and it hadnt blown. Cam/crank sensor was plugged. I guess I have to do the compression, spark and fuel pressure test tomorrow
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM

change the battery, same exact thing happen to me.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:55 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Cam timing one tooth off will result in a no-start.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 AM

Yeah i would guess the timing. The sensor wiring on this car is pretty simple and hard to mess up. If everything is pluged in and your getting fuel then there really isnt any reason for it not to fire.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 AM

I did the crank/cam timing to the exact of the manual. I lined up the colored links to the dimples on the the crank gear and cam gear perfectly. However after lining up the crank pulley TDC with the lines out casing it was impossible to get the cam gear set its lines perfectly with the head. I moved the timing chain one tooth forward and one tooth back and nothing worked. I assumed it was due to the fact I had a Cometic MLS headgasket.

Here is the link to that thread - https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/972...#entry21952020

And @Muggus you are featured in that thread because you had the same issue
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Had the same problem same headgasket, friend's S2K, after about 6 tries lining it up it started right up. It's picky as hell. Most other motors will run a tooth off, not this one.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Pretty wierd then. My car had cometic headgasket which im guessing is thicker in it. But after i took the head off i had it milled and put a stock gasket back on. The crank mark was off but was in the same location is was when i started so im not so sure it will change too much between gaskets. When i did mine i put the crank on the exact mark it was suppost to be and then put the center sprocket into the timing chain. I had to shift it left and right until i got it almost perfectly lined up with the head. How ever since the crank was exactly on the mark i couldnt get that sprocket perfect, only close. I knew it was correct because one tooth left made it way off and one tooth right made it way off. Then i rotated it to make the sprocket perfect regardless of where the crank was and did the cams after. Just make sure your taking up the slack in the chain by rotating the center sprocket CCW with your hand to simulate the tensioner.

Quick Reply: Car won't start