S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car wont start!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start!

My car is having issues today. I was driving and everytime i got back in the car to leave it was having a hard time starting. It got harder and harder to start each time. After the 4th time i got worried and went home. I got hte car into the garage turned off the car and tried to start it, however this time it wont start. I checked the battery at its at 12.5v! That should be enough to start the car. I hooked up a jumper pack anyways and it didnt start either. Any advice here?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does it crank?

does it click but not crank?

does it have fuel? fuel pump whines when key inserted

does it have spark?

any recent battery drainage?

any water damage before, like clost encounter with hydrolock?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:01 PM

the probalem is a hard carnk. It cranks REALLY slow like if the battery was dead. ill get a couple slow cranks and it wont crank anymore. Im sure fuel/spark isnt the problem. Usually this would happen if i left the radio on for 10 mins without hte car running. But this time i was jsut driving it and letting it charge.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, that's why i ask did you have a loss of voltage in the battery recently.

the battery should be around 12.6(that's 2.1 for each of the six cell) when the car is off, somewhere around 14v when the car is on.

a dying alternator could not keep the battery in full charge and the car car would hard to start with the weaken battery. if you have a multimeter then you could test it out, i know vw is around 14.2v w/ the aeg 90amp altenator, so you have to look it up for the s.

another thing would be the starter, if it click but would crank, the starter might be shot. that's why i ask did it crank or it just click. you could actually take the starter out and test it, put it on a vise, supply power and then trigger to see if it will operate smoothly.

those are the two most likely failing point, the fuel pump and coilpack last pretty long on honda's

ps. or it could be just a battery not holding charge, if you have any recent deep drain, consistent vibration(those tie down actually keep the lead grid/plate from shaking to hell) or electrical drainage(broken trunk light trigger, etc) could kill a battery.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:18 PM

Old 11-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you battery's original, it's at the end of it's life anyway and probably needs replacement. The comment about 10 minutes with the radio also suggests the battery's shot. I'd expect the car to run the radio for an hour with a good battery and not affect starting.

Check the voltage when it's running, if it's about 14 volts then it's pretty certain the problem's the battery. You could also have bad cables or dirty terminals but, that's less likely.

5 years is all you can reasonably expect from a car battery.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because the battery has 12.5 volts doesnt mean it isnt bad. What is the voltage when the car is being cranked? how much voltage are you dropping? Take your battery to autozone and have them check it for you easy fix.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:33 PM

It was making me sratch my head for a while. Didnt really know what was going on so i let it sit for a bit went out gave her a peep talk. measured 12.7v and she started right up. I hope for the best
Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're just going to get stranded somewhere so, you'll have to pay for a battery AND a tow. Kind of foolish not to investigate getting this fixed, if you ask me.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so now its starting up fine? i would look into the battery of course but i would also check the starter out. I had the same problem with my gf g20 sometimes it would start great sometimes it would start really slow or not at all. It was because the starter would spin to a certain spot when it was shut off where it was hard to move out of. The brushes or something i dont remember good luck bro peace

Quick Reply: car wont start!