S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car won't go into any gear while running. Clutch engagements making noise

Old 04-17-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Doing some more research. The whining noise looks like it is related to a throw out bearing. Time to drop my tranny

This video has the same whine that I have. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yonmcgIFvRI[/media]
Old 04-25-2015, 10:44 AM

Verdict is in...

Broken clutch spring.

Car won't go into any gear while running. Clutch engagements making noise-obuexlf.jpg
Old 04-25-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Typical aftermarket disc, one I pulled this week was identical. Same brand and broken spring. Go oem.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Typical aftermarket disc, one I pulled this week was identical. Same brand and broken spring. Go oem.
OEM is going in right moew!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:01 PM

UPDATE:

Had the oem clutch kit installed. Everything was fine up until about 150 miles. I decided to do a WOT pull. At the top of 2nd gear the clutch seemed like it was slipping and then starting making a bunch of noise while driving. Almost as if I had an exhaust leak. I brought the car back to the shop that installed the clutch kit and they thought the car was OK. I noticed that when they went to test drive the car they didn't even get the car warm. I decided to take the owner of the shop for a drive and sure enough after the second WOT pull the clutch started to slip and this time when I pressed the clutch pedal the pedal fell to the floor and was stuck there. When we picked up the pedal the pedal would not budge.

They just put the car on the lift today and it looks like the release bearing is broken. They are about to open up the rest and see what else might be broken. They told me that I should order a heavy duty clutch kit but that seems ridiculous given that the car is completely stock.

Should I just order a new release bearing or should I really just order a new clutch kit? Would the break in period have anything to do with the release bearing failing? Does anyone have any advice?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did they install a new honda release bearing? Was it greased properly?

You do not need a heavy duty clutch, or any aftermarket parts. I would say they must have screwed something up.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Did they install a new honda release bearing? Was it greased properly?

You do not need a heavy duty clutch, or any aftermarket parts. I would say they must have screwed something up.
Who knows. Good news is they only needed a new release bearing. Got the car home yesterday. Now to deal with the rod knock. FUN!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 443 Likes on 366 Posts

Rod knock? Why are you doing WOT pulls with rod knock?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Rod knock? Why are you doing WOT pulls with rod knock?
In retrospect, it was a WOT pull that caused the rod knock. After the rod knock I only attempted two more WOT pulls. What I had originally interpreted as the clutch slipping was actually vtec cutting out due to low oil pressure. At the time I was very paranoid about the break in miles and had my head thinking about the clutch. Additionally, the new found knocking feel could be felt though the clutch pedal. After the initial noise started I babied it until I took it back to the shop (3 miles).

Then to show the owner what I had thought was a clutch issue I did 2 WOT pulls. At this point the clutch actually did break and the knocking got worse. So maybe I had rod knock and a developing clutch issue? I didn't notice the rod knock specifically because I had literally just destroyed my clutch release bearing in front of the shop owner and almost ended up pushing the car to his shop. It was all very overwhelming.

What is really distressing is that I don't know what caused the knock. From my research it seems that the root cause of rod knocks/spun bearings is oil starvation, either due to having low oil or going through a high speed sweeper. All I was doing was merging onto the highway and hitting vtec, which I have done countless times in both of my s2000s. My oil was topped up so the car was definitely not low on oil. My only other thought was that the oil pump may have failed or that the oil feed was blocked but apparently that is extremely rare.

The motor was rebuilt by the guy that I bought it from (an ASE mechanic) about 5k miles ago so It's possible that he may have messed something up. I don't know... Anyways I'm going to buy a swap and then disassemble the motor and try to understand what went wrong.

Hope this clears things up.