S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car will be stored away for a year

Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will be stored away for a year

hey guys, im planning to store my S for about a year, does it need to be started during this time and run for a few minutes or it safe to simply let it sit? Do I need to change the fluids after it having being stored away for this length of time?

any help would be appreciated
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I have done ( to other cars) and it seemed to be ok.You didn't say stored inside or out,so I assume in?

Change all fluids/filters before storage.
Add Stabil to the gas
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx

If you can start it during this time,start it every 1- 2 weeks and let it run for at least 15 min.If you are unable to have it started,take the battery out or use a battery tender.Make sure you have the radio code for later.

Pump up the tires about 5 lbs more than nornal and let the tires sit on something soft like 2 layers of rubber floor mats or some old towels so the tires won't flat spot.

4-5 days before you take it out of storage,I would pull the plugs and squirt some WD-40 in the cylinders and let it drain down so you won't have a dry start.It will smoke like crazy,but thats ok.

I would also cover the car with an good,soft indoor cover.If stored outside,an outdoor cover that is water resistant and reflects the sun would be good.Make sure the car is clean before you cover it.

I'm sure other have ideas as well.
\rlr
carolina
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Remove the spark plugs and fog the engine. Keep the top up and latched. If you can, keep it in a dry environment, otherwise you'll need to resurface your rotors from pitting rust.

Or, just send it over to me and i'll keep it warmed up by driving it for you.

darcy
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't need to change any fluids. I'd change the oil, but everything else will be fine.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM

I have stored a few different cars for a year or more a few times. This is my method.
1. Wash it, wax it, clean the interior and use some kind of leather conditioner on the seats. Treat the top if you do that.
2. Change the oil & filter. Change the transmission fluid and rear diff fluid if it's time. Change the air filter if it's due.
3. Add some fuel stabilizer and fill up the gas tank. Run the engine long enough to get the stabilized fuel into the injectors, 3-4 minutes at idle should do it.
4. Park it and fill the tires to max rated pressure to prevent flat spots when you drive it again.
5. Pull the fuel pump fuse. This is so you don't mix fuel with oil in the cylinders in the next steps.
6. Remove the spark plugs and shoot a little engine fogger in each cylinder. Place a rag over the open spark plug holes and then spin the engine by pushing the start button for a few seconds so the fogger spreads to the cylinder walls. If you don't have fogger, ATF works well to prevent the cylinder walls from oxidizing also.
7. Leave the top up, but not latched so it doesn't stretch. Leave the windows about an inch from all the way up to allow air flow.
8. Make sure you have the radio code. Take out the battery.
9. Put the spark plug cover in place, but don't bolt it down. Remove the battery and store it inside. Charge it a bit every few weeks if you can. Leave the spark plugs and fuel pump fuse in a safe place. I usually leave it in a small box left where the battery was.
10. Cover it and leave it alone. It's good for at least a year with no attention and no problems, and probably longer.

When you start it again, first replace the battery. Then put a small bit of fog or ATF in each cylinder and spin the engine for a few seconds. Then put back the spark plugs (I use 18 ft-lbs of torque and I always use anti-seize on the threads). Then put back the fuel pump fuse. Check the tire pressure. Start it and go. It will smoke a bit but that will clear up in a minute or so. This assumes it will be in a garage. If it's outside, obviously leave the top tight and the windows closed all the way.

Good luck

I have done this with Hondas that have gone on to over 165K miles and still running. It takes a while, but if you do this you will not have to worry about your car until you want to.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 AM

great advice guys