S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car will not start :(

Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Car will not start :(

Okay so if you didn't happen to see my other topic, about a week ago I got a lot of water into my open crankcase vent, almost hydrolocking the motor. Luckily I was able to get it started by cranking all the water out without plugs and with the fuel pump fuse pulled. It took over 3-4 hours to get all the water out because my battery kept dying. Since then, the car has run very good, the only bad things were the start ups, they were very hesitant, lots of bogging and I have to give gas for it to start.

I ran most of the gas out and added some this morning.
Drove it for most of the day and went to my girlfriend's house. Stayed for 6-7 hours then as I was ready to leave, my car wouldn't start. I could hear the starter but it wouldn't turn over.
I bought new plugs (same kind same gap)
I pulled the plugs and inspected, there was a lot of gas in there. -strong fuel smell also.
I cranked it without plugs and the fuel pump fuse for a long long time, totaling over a minute in just trying to crank it without plugs. A whole fountain of liquid started pouring out. It was the worst coming from cylinders 2 and 4. I also noticed a coolant tint (slight, not too much, just some of the droplets.) After cranking and cranking forever until the liquid coming out slowed to a light mist, I reinspected and it looked mostly dry with just a bit of liquid in the spark plug walls and very slight moistness deeper within.
Reinstalled everything including the new plugs, dried the spark coils (which I tested, they're sparking), attempted to start the car, same thing as earlier. I can hear a VERY slight rumbling, but nothing close to even turning over.
I take everything apart again and it starts spitting out a lot of liquid again but not nearly as much as earlier. Again mostly cylinders 2 and 4, 1 was very dry and 3 barely had anything coming out.

It's been nearly a week since I've gotten the car started again after having almost hydrolocked it.
Again, start ups have been rough ever since, not every start up is rough, but a good majority of them were. Once the car is running, it runs flawlessly though.
I took the plugs out along with the coil packs. Stuffed the holes with paper towels and left the car outside parked on the side of the street til tomorrow morning. Going to try again.

Its a MY01
Ultimate racing turbo kit, AEM EMS, 720cc injectors, OEM fuel rail and the supporting mods that come along with turbo set up.
Had the valved adjusted to spec not more than two months ago.
Anyone have any input on what could be going on? Recommendations?
Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 AM

You didn't hydrolock your engine. Not through the vent in the valve cover anyways. If you think water got in through the vent you need to be checking and or changing your oil. If you got water in your intake pipe, throttle body or intake manifold then you may have hydrolocked, but it takes quite a bit of water. It sounds like you still have a wet connection. You should pull all the connections (ie TPS, MAP, CMP, ECT, injectors and coils etc.) off that got wet and blow them out with clean air until they are dry. Also, any codes?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K
You didn't hydrolock your engine. Not through the vent in the valve cover anyways. If you think water got in through the vent you need to be checking and or changing your oil. If you got water in your intake pipe, throttle body or intake manifold then you may have hydrolocked, but it takes quite a bit of water. It sounds like you still have a wet connection. You should pull all the connections (ie TPS, MAP, CMP, ECT, injectors and coils etc.) off that got wet and blow them out with clean air until they are dry. Also, any codes?
I'll try drying off all the electrical connections first then. Umm I'm not able to check codes with the AEM EMS, unfortunately I don't have the stock ECU either.
If the car was hydrolocked would it still be able to turn over without plugs?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 AM

Honestly in my experience almost 75% of the time if the engine gets wet and won't start it's almost always related to the ignition. Blow all the other connections out but be sure to blow the coils out the best. Blow out the connector and up inside the boot. Then with the spark plugs still in, blow out the tube in the head. All the water must be gone or once you get it started the water will evaporate then condense as the car cools off and cause issues again. If the car had truly hydrolocked most likely it would not crank with the plugs in, but would crank with the plugs out.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K
Honestly in my experience almost 75% of the time if the engine gets wet and won't start it's almost always related to the ignition. Blow all the other connections out but be sure to blow the coils out the best. Blow out the connector and up inside the boot. Then with the spark plugs still in, blow out the tube in the head. All the water must be gone or once you get it started the water will evaporate then condense as the car cools off and cause issues again. If the car had truly hydrolocked most likely it would not crank with the plugs in, but would crank with the plugs out.
Just tried everything you said, to no avail unfortunately. Coolant is seeping in somehow. I can see the color when it splashes out. I'm guessing head gasket but this is a pretty bad head gasket leak if it is one.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM

You most likely have a blown head gasket Ed.