S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car vibrates when accelerating

Old 10-04-2004, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow up on DNF Dave's car:

The dealer, San Francisco Honda, replaced the entire rear differential assembly. This had no effect on the problem.

The dealer then replaced both rear driveshafts (half shafts), and they called me and told me that this fixed the problem. Now I'm just waiting to see if they leave the new diff in, or will go to the trouble to swap it back out.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:49 AM

Since this rules out the diff, are we pinning this on the CV joints? Or was their some hub and bearing work done as well?? The whole "single click" axle nut still seems a bit suspect. Coincidence?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar problem with my stock 01. It also vibrated on acceleration like many had described, but I could tell that it was coming from the front. It seemed to start around 50,000 miles.

I took it to the dealer, come to find out, both engine mounts were broken. Don't know how that happened. Maybe it was a bad batch of rubber or something, I don't know and neither did he. Fortunately, I had the extended warranty so they replaced the mounts at NO CHARGE to me. Now, no vibration under acceleration. Definitely something to look into. Hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:11 AM

Mine has the same problem that all you guys are having. I noticed this problem about a week ago. It only does it on mine under acceleration. My car is a 2000 with about 52,000 miles.

I have narrowed it down to either the CV joints or the Diff. But I doubt it's the diff. I'm stock.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:40 AM

Received 286 Likes on 144 Posts

Ken,
From your description it's almost surely the inner CV joints. Try one more experiment: accelerate hard while turning right (e.g. freeway on-ramp), then try it again while turning left. It'll probably be worse when turning right, because the left-side CV bearings tend to get pitted more severely than the right.

Anyway, I just did mine this weekend after the vibration got unbearable. I'll post a DIY thread soon, but here's the original definitive thread on the subject:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39249
Old 10-05-2004, 10:40 AM

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

i have a similar issue with my MY00. 21k miles, and once i added the comptech intake setup it vibrates to all hell at 4krpm and up when im in the throttle. it seems especially bad at the top of the windshield.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by twohoos,Oct 5 2004, 01:40 PM
Ken,
From your description it's almost surely the inner CV joints. Try one more experiment: accelerate hard while turning right (e.g. freeway on-ramp), then try it again while turning left. It'll probably be worse when turning right, because the left-side CV bearings tend to get pitted more severely than the right.

Anyway, I just did mine this weekend after the vibration got unbearable. I'll post a DIY thread soon, but here's the original definitive thread on the subject:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39249
Thanks a lot.... I am leaning more towards the rear CV's now that I think about it. I wa at a car show this week and talked to a guy that was selling axles. As I looked at his stand I saw a set of rear axles for the S2k. So I asked him about them and he said that they are tested to hold 400 whp. The cost for a set of two is $989.00. They will be in his new catolog comming out in December. They looked to be very well built. He was working with UR Turbo to design the axles. Maybe a possible GB if there is enough intrest!!!!!

Anyone know how much stock axles go for?????

Thanks Kenny
Old 10-05-2004, 01:18 PM

there are two ways to handle the cv joint problem.

1. buy two new axles
2. you switch the ends of the axles (cv joints) the right and left side. This is what billman did for me and it worked miracles. Saved me lots of cash.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:40 PM

Does anyone know, were all of these failed CV joints attributed to a bad batch in the early model years, or did Honda actually change a spec to remedy it?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:48 PM

SB for the CV's just had them replaced in my '00 with 45,000 miles at no cost.

SB 02-63

The noise came and went for several years. It varied from a feeling in my but to a grinding noise. Some days it was there other days not. I've been asking dealers about this for several years.

Quick Reply: Car vibrates when accelerating