S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car is veering to the left, please help!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is veering to the left, please help!

Hey all. I got my rear tires replaced a few days ago and noticed the car would veer to the left during acceleration and straighten back out when I let go of the gas. I checked the tire pressure when I got home and all was okay. I took it today and got the allignment done at a good shop and it fixed it most of the wayt but it's still there. I was driving around for a couple days with a spare tire, I hope that can't damage anything. I'm out of ideas and a search on google turned up issues with front wheel drive cars and a search here came up with people with flat tires. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 cause is uneven tire pressure. Since you just got new tires, its possible you got a bad tire. Take it back to the tire shop and see if they can switch out the tires for you to eliminate that.

You are not supposed to put the spare on the rear; front tire goes on the rear and spare goes on the front.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Check to see if they put the right size tires on the front and rear of the car.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 AM

This could be a bad tire as stated above. Believe it or not new tires can have seperated belts and thread pull. I would take it back and have them inspect it.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Also double check that they installed the tires correctly according to their direction of travel if they are directional tires...
Old 05-08-2010, 10:18 AM

maybe the car was in an accident before?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you mentioned you were driving around with the spare on for a couple of days---just wanted to make sure the spare was on the front? (if your rear tire goes bad, you have to put a front tire on the rear and run the spare on the front--if not, you risk serious damage to the rear differential if you run the spare on the rear. (check the owner's manual)
Hope that's not your problem...
Old 05-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I did take it back to shop for inspection. But I did have the spare on the rear so I'm guessing it's worst case and I damaged the diff. Wish I knew that before... ooh well lesson learned.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

before you do anything else, change the diff fluid and see if that helps.

not too hard to DIY--don't even need to jack it up--you can reach both the drain and fill by sliding under the rear of the car.

The fill bolt is a 23mm and it's easiest to use a box end wrench on it and the drain bolt is a 24mm and a socket will fit fine on it. I found both the 23mm box end and a 24mm 3/8 drive socket at the auto parts store for less than $20 for both--not cheap but cheaper than having someone else change it for you.

I use 75-90w Mobil One gear lube---there are other good brands as well

here's the link on the DIY thread--

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=348700
Old 05-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't overreact about the diff. Before going into expensive repairs, follow the advice others have given. Triple check that your tires are evenly inflated to the correct pressure, that they are mounted correctly, and they do not have any defects. The best solution is to mount known good tires on the rear to see if the symptoms disappear. Check with a friend with an S2000 to see if you can borrow their wheels. It should take less than 30 minutes to do the wheel swap and have your answer.

Quick Reply: Car is veering to the left, please help!