S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car Trouble...

Old 08-19-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Trouble...

The car has had hiccups once again (today) - about to post about it actually. I have not had a chance to pull the plugs yet; however I did convert my BPV into a BOV in order to reduce hot air blowing back into the intake. Also I put some injector cleaner into the car in hopes that it would help.

Basically what happens is every so often the car starts acting strange. It does not matter if the car has been running 10 minutes or 4 hours, it happens either way (or so it seems...this was the 4th time it has happened...started last Saturday). If I step on the throttle, right near the top of the pedal the car bogs terribly (like it is not getting enough fuel, or not enough air). Once the throttle is depressed far enough, BAM! whatever is happening stops and power comes back (rather suddenly!)

No lights are popping on (check engine, etc); however I would really like to fix this! A couple of suggestions I have had already: spark plugs (check and replace). Clean/replace the air filter. ECU, ESM, Injectors, Fuel pump or fuel filter.

Any ideas?

I have a comptech exhaust and super charger BTW.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:11 PM

Are you tuned for the SC? Sounds like driveablity issues that could be eliminated with some EMS tuning.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I take it you've seen my posts regarding the wiring connections. Poor connections will cause what you are experiencing. Also, crossed wires will do same. It'll do it sometimes and other times, it runs fine, right? Double check all ESM wiring. Are they all going where they're supposed to? Are they a solid connection? Even if you think they are correct and solid, look again and make sure they are either soldered or very well crimped. I suppose there is also the possibility that you have a glitch in your ESM. You should consider this after you've looked into my other suggestions.

As for tuning with an aftermarket ECU, the Comptech is well known as being a simple bolt on and drive kit. Unless there is a defective or modified component, you really do not need additional tuning. This kit on this car is perfectly "driveable" right out of the box.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 20 2004, 12:41 AM
I take it you've seen my posts regarding the wiring connections. Poor connections will cause what you are experiencing. Also, crossed wires will do same. It'll do it sometimes and other times, it runs fine, right? Double check all ESM wiring. Are they all going where they're supposed to? Are they a solid connection? Even if you think they are correct and solid, look again and make sure they are either soldered or very well crimped. I suppose there is also the possibility that you have a glitch in your ESM. You should consider this after you've looked into my other suggestions.

As for tuning with an aftermarket ECU, the Comptech is well known as being a simple bolt on and drive kit. Unless there is a defective or modified component, you really do not need additional tuning. This kit on this car is perfectly "driveable" right out of the box.
That's it in a nutshell... This just started happening this past weekend and it has done it now 5 times since then.

I'll pull open the panel and take a look at the ESM tonight. perhaps something has gone loose. The wires are currently crimed on, perhaps I'll try soldering them...

Thanks!