S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car starts and dies when i turn on the HL

Old 11-11-2005, 08:56 PM
tru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car starts and dies when i turn on the HL

i was driving then all of a sudden my radio was making funny noises and my dash turned very dim. dimmer then when you turn on your lights. i proceed to drive then my eps light turned on and when i stoped and turned off my car it wouldn't start. i checked all the fuses and the "acc" fuse was broken. i replaced it and it still wouldnt start. I used a jumper and it started my car but when i turn on the headlamps it dies again. its runs fine without the lights on but its 8:30pm so i can't drive without my lights (btw im not at home). anyone knows whats wrong?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:07 PM

This take me back a few years, but...
Your charging system is probably bad...either the alternator (or belt) or voltage regulator. Just for chuckles take a look at the battery too. You may want to start by checking to see if the accessory belt to the alternator is reasonably tight, and not slipping. Next, if you can get the car started again, check the output of the alternator...at the alternator electrodes. It should be at least 13 volts. If, this is OK, then it's more than likely the voltage regulator...it steps the alternator voltage down to charge the battery, and probably needs to be replaced. I feel for you...this has happened to me a few times in the past (it always seems to happen at night too). You could have a battery that has one or more bad cells...it would be worth a check of the battery voltage (and the indicator) as well. Best of luck..if you can give some more specifics, maybe we can help a bit more.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:42 PM

I had the symptoms of the dash lights going dim then off then back to dim, the radio freaking out and the car shutting down. It started up everything was ok for a few seconds then the dash started to go again as I went straight to the dealer, luckily only a 1/4 mile away from where all this was happening. It turned out to be a bad alternator.

Konrad
Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChemist,Nov 12 2005, 02:07 AM
Your charging system is probably bad...either the alternator (or belt) or voltage regulator.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:09 AM
tru

i pulled out the alternator to be checked today. where is the voltage reg. located?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tru,Nov 12 2005, 05:09 AM
i pulled out the alternator to be checked today. where is the voltage reg. located?
This is a guess since I've never had to fix this car before, but the voltage regulator is probably inside or bolted to the back of the alternator. That's the popular spot for newer cars.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I checked the S2000 service manual and the voltage regulator is bolted on the back of the alternator. Hope this helps
Old 11-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Take a multimeter and read the voltage on the car battery and it should read a little over 12 volts. Then start the car and put the multimeter to the battery again and if your alternator is charging you will read something like 13.87 volts. I would check my wires going to the battery and those going to the starter for corrosion. I would clean your battery posts because it is not uncommon for corrosion to get between the terminal and the post. Good luck
Old 11-12-2005, 08:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a guess, possibly the ELD (electrical load detector) located in the fuse box under the hood in front of the battery. not sure what it does but it's in the charging circuit. Try the easy stuff first. Pull the battery and alternator and get them tested first. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:15 PM
tru

did the multimeter test withthe car on and it read 11v and started dropping to about 9.5. My friend working place didnt have the right plug for the alt. so i just went ahead and ordered a new one anyway. it cost about $150 after the core exchange and comes with a life time warrenty. THANKS EVERYONE!!!! hopefully this solves my problem

Quick Reply: car starts and dies when i turn on the HL