S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car starts anytime except during the morning

Old 04-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts anytime except during the morning

It's been pretty chilly in the past 2 weeks here and I noticed a trend when I start my year 2000 S.

In the morning (around 7ish am) I go to work. I start the car and it seems like the engine is having a hard time to start. It cranks and makes the usually clicking noise but just sounds like it doesn't have enough juice to start the engine. So far I've been very lucky in starting it with the first push start.

Here's the weird part.
During lunch time and when I leave work (5pm), I start the engine w/o any problems. The car will start with the push of the button. No struggle at all.

I've asked a few friends and they said it was the battery.
So I took the car over to my good local mechanic and he said battery has full juice. He tested the battery w/ my engine on, off, and also engine off w/ headlights on and said its full.

Any idea what else it can be? If worst comes to worst, I guess I can run to my local Coscto and buy a battery. If it fixes it, then I'll keep it. If not, then I'll return it since they have the best return policy.

And does Costco sell any good battery? Right now I'm running Energizer 51. I've had it for about 2 years.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 PM

Did your mechanic load test the battery? A bad battery can still display good voltage and power the components in your car (lights, stereo, fans) and not have enough cold cranking amps to get the engine turned over in the morning. I would buy a new battery.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

Yeah, how cold is cold? How many times during the day is the car started? Do you drive to lunch? Does the car sit from 5:30 pm until the next morning? What draws do you have on the battery, like an alarm system? What's the published lifespan of an Energizer 51? It sounds like a weak battery to me.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would remove the battery and take it to Auto Zone and have it load tested.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Apr 24 2007, 05:28 PM
Did your mechanic load test the battery? A bad battery can still display good voltage and power the components in your car (lights, stereo, fans) and not have enough cold cranking amps to get the engine turned over in the morning. I would buy a new battery.
Not sure what load test battery is.

Basically my mechanic brought out a battery voltage meter and tested my battery in my engine bay.

The battery was never disconnected nor taken out of my engine bay.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Avionics86,Apr 24 2007, 09:34 PM
I would remove the battery and take it to Auto Zone and have it load tested.
Make sure you have your radio code, if you have the oem radio...
Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My battery was turning out good from a test at Kragen even though it was bad.

Get a new battery
Old 04-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianQing,Apr 24 2007, 06:20 PM
And does Costco sell any good battery? Right now I'm running Energizer 51. I've had it for about 2 years.
If you do buy a new battery, just get the cheapest one. The "gold" and "platinum" and "diamond-encrusted iridium" etc. battery levels are just there to extract a little more money from you by making you feel like you are getting something special.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 24 2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah, how cold is cold? How many times during the day is the car started? Do you drive to lunch? Does the car sit from 5:30 pm until the next morning? What draws do you have on the battery, like an alarm system? What's the published lifespan of an Energizer 51? It sounds like a weak battery to me.
Yeah, how cold is cold? about in the low 60s. Not very cold compared to other parts of the world, but is considered chilly here in sunny calif.

How many times during the day is the car started? started about 3 times, once in the morning, once during lunch, and once to drive home. And if I go out, 2 more times for a round trip.

Do you drive to lunch? yes

Does the car sit from 5:30 pm until the next morning? usually, I have another car to drive to grocery store or mall.

What draws do you have on the battery, like an alarm system? no alarm system, just OEM lock/unlock FOB from Honda.

What's the published lifespan of an Energizer 51? don't know. Did a search for Energizer 51-500e w/ no result.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 PM

man, drive the car over to my place and you know i'll help you out. just give me a ring if you'd like me to take care of it for you!

you should know im good for it

Quick Reply: Car starts anytime except during the morning