S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car Starting Problem

Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Starting Problem

So, I've been having this problem quite sometime, I have a car starting problem with my 2001 Honda S2000, And its been killing me emotionally. So I just happen to get a new Battery and a new starter the other day, and I just got my starter installed today, then when we put everything back in place, my car ends up not starting and doing the same exact thing before I changed the old starter, All I get is a Click noise then no crank at all, and I have to push start every single time I try to turn my car on. What could be the problem? Please help me out asap, I'm tired of buying stuff I don't need.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why don't you take it to a mechanic?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 PM

you just put a brand new battery in it? did you check all of the wires making sure theyre all in tack?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by datdude1119,Dec 3 2009, 10:51 PM
you just put a brand new battery in it? did you check all of the wires making sure theyre all in tack?
Yes, i did get a new battery,, then i guess you can say it started working for a short while, then all of a sudden my car starting problem started happening again AFTER the new battery and now i just installed my new starter then it didnt even work again! but it does make a hissing sound like before i changed the starter! do you think it may be the alternator?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Dec 3 2009, 10:48 PM
Why don't you take it to a mechanic?
because mechanics charge an unusual outrageous price for a diagnostic.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:41 PM

check the alternator. Its possible you bought the new battery charged and then it ran out of power because it isnt getting charged therefore its not starting the car..

But then at the same time the car wouldnt run for long even if u push started it, so that cant be right either because u said it would start if u push started it right?... weirrddd
Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there's tons of things you need to check

most of them will require a tad of experience and a cheap multimeter

I am on my fourth starter btw:

first one was grinding at 100k(OEM denso)

second one was a used oem denso, picked it up from a local forum member, end up being a grinding unit as well(of course he's no where to be found now)

third one is a new unit, a local auto electronic store sold it to me, it worked about 2 week before it took a crap on me, it would spin but will not make contact to flywheel. defective bendix according to the dude

my current one is from autozone, so far so good, i put that thing in 15 minutes flat
Old 12-04-2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by y0itzCARL,Dec 4 2009, 12:12 AM
for checking starter? it takes a multimeter and about 15 minute

if you hear an electronic actuation but no turning/cranking, it sounds like you have a defective starter

if you are low on battery it would make a bunch of clicking noise and eventually stop doing so, but you could pretty much tell by then, your light would be dying along with it.

there's a starter relay under the dash as well, those are some what prone to fail, some of the symtoms is not able to start the car when it's been sitting under the sun. what happens is the busted solder joint expand to lose contact when the cabin heats up.

and of course, you can whack the starter a few time with a heavy object to get it started, most of the "starting" to die starter will cranks right up with a few blows, that's exactly how i got my car home when my second starter took a sh-t on me. you'll need a metal pipe and a hammer to get it from the top.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by y0itzCARL,Dec 4 2009, 12:20 AM
Please help me out asap, I'm tired of buying stuff I don't need.

Sounds like you're doing a fine job guessing on your own.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Dec 4 2009, 09:03 AM
Sounds like you're doing a fine job guessing on your own.
bwahahahahahahaaaa. i couldnt help it man this was hilarious.

dude, if its beyond you then sometimes you have to pay someone to figure it out for you. if you post up in your local forum maybe someone there will lend a hand diagnosing the problem.

Quick Reply: Car Starting Problem