S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car stalling out

Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car stalling out

Ok so this morning I start my car its warms up fine no issues at all. So I start driving to work and 10mns later I'm at a red light in neutral and it stalls, starts back up easy and then after that everytime I put it in neutral it stalls. When your standing outside the car it sounds like the rpms are going up and down. What can that be ? Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM

Is your car stock? If not what has been done? Have you done any mods or serviced it lately? Did your engine light come on? Rpm's fluctuating at idle is usually a sign of a vac leak.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Crisgo,Sep 2 2010, 07:08 AM
Is your car stock? If not what has been done? Have you done any mods or serviced it lately? Did your engine light come on? Rpm's fluctuating at idle is usually a sign of a vac leak.
Yep.

Go have somebody sit in the car with the clutch pressed in and open the hood.
Listen for any "suction" or "vacuum" noise. Make sure all of the little black hoses are attached all of the way.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM

no recent maintenance.. its all stock.. car drives fine but idles low in neutral. i reset the back up fuse and it stopped it from stalling out but it goes to like 400 rpm then jumps back to 900-1000 rpm when ever it goes in neutral after i give it gas. other wise its fine only when im driving then go to neutral it drops to 400rpm then back to 1000rpm only does it after i give it gas.

no check engine light..
Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by YeaItsHim,Sep 2 2010, 05:32 AM
When your standing outside the car it sounds like the rpms are going up and down.
You never told me that when you called me today

Definitely sticking IAC valve.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM

ok update just cleaned the IAC Valve and reset the back up fuse and it seems to be pretty good now.. ill check again later on when i run out to the store but i played with the gas for like 10mns seemed to be fine now..

Thanks Billman
Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

...Sooo glad I found this thread !! This same exact thing happened to my "S"....just before we went on a 10 day vacation with it !!!! Traveled all over North Carolina and Virginia with it...The problem with the idle just got worse & worse, the farther we went !!! It left me stalled-out in intersections, and everywhere I put the clutch in, and sat and idled...It would die-out.....I got so frustrated with the car, I could hardly think of driving it any further.....Up until this time, I had never had even the slightest problem with anything....2003 model with 49K...on her !!! Just prior to leaving home I had an air horn put on it....Well .....while I was on the trip, I happened to blow a fuse...because the idiot that installed the horn, wired it into the same circuit as the existing horn....and that also controls the brake lights !!! He did not up size the fuse...and well....it finally blew...Now the car is stalling every time I put the clutch in...I have no brake lights...and now I have no horn...That did it. Took it to a dealership in Winchester VA......They took the car into the shop immediatly... The tech diagnosed the fuse problem right away...and upsized a couple of amps...Then I told him about the constant stalling... He ran a can of BG, 44 thru the system and reset the ECU......Then he put a bottle of some type of injector cleaner in the gas tank......The car ran very well, for the rest of our trip...and all the way home !!! Fact is....it is still running pretty good...but....I still noticed that the RPM's were not as before all the stalling-out problems !!! They dropped to about 6 to 700 ...but it would not stall...So then I found this thread...WOW....I pulled the ECU back-up fuse...then I took the IAC valve off.....OMG...my hands are pretty big to get to it...but I managed !!!! The valve was still pretty dirty !!! I purchsed a spray can of TB cleaner and I sprayed the valve over & over, brushed it, sprayed more and I got it spotless !!! Then I put the fuse back, turned all electrical off, in the cabin ( A.C. fans etc... ) started the car and let it run for about 15 minutes...till the cooling fans recycled 2 times...Turned it off, and took it for a test drive about a 1/2 hour later...Car runs like it is new !!!! No low RPM's...VTEC works perfectly...everything is awesome.....

....all I can say is...I sure am glad I found this thread !!!