S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car Stalling After Heavy Rain, PLEASE HELP!

Old 09-23-2003, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stalling After Heavy Rain, PLEASE HELP!

Hello everyone

I'm really in dire need of some info. I seem to be having a problem with my car. After a heavy rain my car seems to malfunction. Most of the times I start it up, it idles fine, then i put it in first gear and start moving and it starts puttering a little bit (feels like I can't go any further in that gear at about 7 MPH). Then, I usually shift into 2nd gear and it doesn't do it any more. This morning, however, I started my car and started going in 1st, it did the same puttering thing and I started to put it into 2nd gear. It then completely cut off, and all my panel lights lit up. I pulled it into a spot, and started turning the car back on. It wouldn't turn over, it just chugged a few times and quit. I did this a few times and eventually had to feed the engine some gas to get it to start up... it then idled fine, and I was on my way.

I don't know what would cause this to have happened. I did call my dealership this morning and they want me to replicate this by spraying my car down with a hose for a while and to see if it does it again.

Does anyone know what would be causing this? Like I said, it only happens after a strong rain. In the past I have kept this car in a garage so it didn't happen often, but now i'm garageless.

Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electrical. How old is your car? Normally, this is caused by bad spark plug wires, a weak coil, or a cracked or leaking gasket on a distributor cap. The s2000 does nt have those, so i am guessing a bad sensor is causing an overly rich/lean condition. You could also have a corroded sensor connector, which sends an inermittent or weak signal to the ECM. Map or MAF sensor - do ou have a K&N or an oiled gauze filter? Sometmes oil can get on the MAF and louse things up.

Take it to the dealer.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I somehow doubt you will be able to duplicate the problem by spraying the car down with a hose. There is more to your problem than this. I suspect it will have something to do with the humidity around the time of a heavy rain. As Road Rage indicates, it is most likely a sensor issue. The MAP sensor is a well known "weak link" on this car and something like humidity can cause such problems, especially on the MY car you have.
Since you have MY'00, have you had the spark plug recall done? This area is also something to look into.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:40 AM

Will do. I'm a little worried now.

They did take out the whole transmission a few montsh back to re-do the clutch. Would this have caused any problems? Could they have not put something back in correctly?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:42 AM

I think the spark plusg were re-done before I bought the car. I bought it used. But I can bring it up and see if they will do it. Sometimes they'll do it anyways just to help me out.

I'll ask them about the MAP sensor.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thrackley
Will do.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:03 PM

Well I had that done but Honda mentioned that it wouldn't have anything to do with that work. Of course, they wouldn't admit to it if it did have something to do with it.

Ok so.. i had the transmission done and I have a CAI in my car. As well as several audio components, and an alarm. It is my original battery still in the car, I have not replaced it with a stronger one.

There is no check engine light on. That was something Honda asked me.

It DID do this once after washing my car. I wash it by hand and a couple weeks ago it did this when I started my car next.

I think thats about all the info I have to give.

Thanks for any more ideas you have!
Old 09-23-2003, 01:31 PM

What kind of CAI? If it is the AEM "type" of CAI, then you may have your answer. Many owners have reported that the filter placement will result in water "raining" down onto it and getting it completely soaked. If you open your hood, you will see along the right "rain" rail that near the front is a small hole. This hole is directly in line with any water that naturally uses this route to exist the car. The rain falls into this hole and directly onto the filter. If you try to start the car with the filter that wet, you will most likely have the results you just described. A suggestion would be to cover that hole really well with duct tape or some other sort of plug that won't interfere with the closing of the hood.
If you do not have the AEM type, then back to the electrical detective work.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:57 PM

It's a 4-IG CAI. I did have to cut a small piece of plastic below the car in order to fit the filter into the bumper area. I don't think water could get into there, as it's pretty well protected. The only way would be to go through a high level of standing water.

Would the AEM type and the 4-IG have the same problem? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2003, 05:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thrackley
It's a 4-IG CAI.

Quick Reply: Car Stalling After Heavy Rain, PLEASE HELP!