S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car shut off while driving :-(

Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to tell you guys. My dash had been flickering for the past month or two. I told it to autozone and had it checked out and they told me my diode were bad. Do you think this is why the car stoped? I still don't understand why the neo just turned off like that and doesn't turn back on. I guess i might have to take it to honda stealership and i bet they will want to charge me a crap load. The battery seems fine also all the lights turn on fine and nothing is dim at all...
Old 04-11-2009, 04:13 PM

Bump
Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would take your battery out and put a friends in to check. It is possible that a battery has enough juice to power your lights etc. but not enough amps to crank over the engine completely.

If the engine starts then I would go to have the alternator tested as a precaution.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 AM

bump. It isn't the battery it is about a week old and it isn't the alternator i guess, because the tow truck guy hooked up a jumper and it still didn't start. He said it sounds like a fuel problem. The starter just click click and clicks. Found out since I didn't have a tow hook i couldn't tow the car Getting the car towed tomm. to honda. Hopefully this doesn't cost to much to fix. My Neo doesn't turn on anything either ?!?!? I wonder why it doesn't turn on ??
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 AM

I've seen some strange stuff before and my guess is it is the battery. I've seen batteries ready 12.6 volts, but it just doesn't have enough cold crank amps to start. And if it just clicks, it sounds like a bettery problem. If it were a fuel, it would actually crank, but just not start. I would try to swap the battery out with another one that you know works. Jumping does not always start the car. I tried this once and it didn't work, but once I swapped in a new battery, it started right up. My bro who's a EE took a guess that there is too much resistance in the jumper cables.

I know you said your battery is brand new, but you coulda got a lemon, or with your VAFC, some short.

It could also be your alternator too because that's the symptom of driving and all of the sudden dying. You also said your dash was fluttering, another symptom of a bad alternator.

I bet, you got a new battery. Drove it around some and your alternator is dying. Semi-charging the battery, until your alternator gave out. Then your battery is not getting charged and your were running solely on your battery, until that died. And now, it's sooooo dead, not even a jump can save it. Once you drain a battery to a certain dead point, it's never the same.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

[QUOTE=g352s2k,Apr 10 2009, 10:38 PM] thats what i'm saying... it should start since my battery was connected to his, it would still stay on until I disconnect it. Then battery would get drained and car would shut off again.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by littlerocket777,Apr 13 2009, 10:21 AM
I've seen some strange stuff before and my guess is it is the battery. I've seen batteries ready 12.6 volts, but it just doesn't have enough cold crank amps to start. And if it just clicks, it sounds like a bettery problem. If it were a fuel, it would actually crank, but just not start. I would try to swap the battery out with another one that you know works. Jumping does not always start the car. I tried this once and it didn't work, but once I swapped in a new battery, it started right up. My bro who's a EE took a guess that there is too much resistance in the jumper cables.

I know you said your battery is brand new, but you coulda got a lemon, or with your VAFC, some short.

It could also be your alternator too because that's the symptom of driving and all of the sudden dying. You also said your dash was fluttering, another symptom of a bad alternator.

I bet, you got a new battery. Drove it around some and your alternator is dying. Semi-charging the battery, until your alternator gave out. Then your battery is not getting charged and your were running solely on your battery, until that died. And now, it's sooooo dead, not even a jump can save it. Once you drain a battery to a certain dead point, it's never the same.
Yes, this ^^^^
Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 PM

wow so i take it to honda today and everything was find. i blew a damn fuse under the hood. i must of missed it when i was checking them it was very cold and raining the past couple days. i guesss it is a 117 dollar mistake that i got to pay. :-(
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM

glad its fixed tho. Check correctly next time.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 AM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

What was the fuse that was blown? for future reference please

Quick Reply: car shut off while driving :-(