S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car in shop for 2 months.....HELP!!!

Old 11-03-2002, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, in June of 1990 I hit a moose with my '88 Prelude 4WS. The repair took 2 months and cost $9,000 1990 USD. That's about $18,000 2002 USD. I traded the car in October of 1992 for my '93 Prelude VTEC. After the repair it had some dashboard squeeks I didn't like. The repair included replacing the hood and roof, replacing the windshield and rear window, repairing the bumper and rear right quarter panel, replacing the glass filled radio, etc, etc. I never felt the car was "the same" afterwards, although I had no frame damage.

The month I traded in the '88 Prelude, a friend of mine bought it from the dealer. He's had it ever since, now ten years. He loves it and says it drives great. It's got about 150,000 miles on it; 120,000 more than when I traded it.

See what you think when you get it back. There's no tellin'.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:45 AM
mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, don't expect to get your car back "next friday". Not that it's not possible, but just don't expect it.

About buying the car at lease end, I've been thinking about it as well. I also wanted to buy the car at lease end. Here's what I've decided to do after doing some research:

* See how the car drives in the next few months. If there are problems, i'd get rid of the car in the spring of 2003. The dealership where I bought the car is willing to help me with this. I'm not sure how much it will cost me, if at all. I'll figure out in spring (cause that's when you can get the most value for a convertable)

* If there are no problems, I'll drive the car till lease end. At lease end, If honda offers me a good deal (i.e. less than the actual lease end value, considering that the car had been in an accident), I'll buy it. Honda is better off selling me the car for less cause any other person will definitely hesitate to buy an S2k that's been in an accident. Also, they have gap insurance build into the lease so it should cover for the loss of value to the car for honda. There's no way I'd buy this car at lease end if they want to sell it for the lease end value that's in the lease contract.

Ask the body shop about any damage to the unibody and how did they fix it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by striklybidnis
[B]Update:

I got a call from the guy on friday the 1st and he told me they rolled the car off of the frame machine and had some of the body done already.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:32 PM

Barry,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I will keep my hopes up and wait and see.

Mas,

Very good suggestions, and I will consider them all. One question, though: By the spring of 2003, I will still have about 30 months still left on the lease...how could I get rid of it without buying out the remaining 30 months...? Is it even possible?

Thanks guys,

Chris
Old 11-03-2002, 07:43 PM

may the force be with you my freind
Old 11-03-2002, 07:52 PM
mas

I really don't have an exact idea, but basically it will be like getting another car under the same lease. You won't be breaking the lease. I'll ask the salesman the next time I talk to him, for now I just want the car fixed. I'm hoping with new rear right springs my problems will be solved.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by striklybidnis
[B]Barry,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I will keep my hopes up and wait and see.

Mas,

Very good suggestions, and I will consider them all.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:52 AM

UPDATE:

I called this Monday (11/11/02) and he said they just got the rear at the end of the day on Friday and are putting it in that day. I should call back on Wednesday. I call back on Wednesday and they said they had trouble putting the rear in and they were just getting it in then. They said I should call back later on Friday to check back in.

I can understand having trouble getting the rear in, but 3 days?? I just don't know anymore.

Car in accident: 09/02/2002
Car in shop: 09/10/2002
Total days car in shop: 2 months and 5 days.

Needless to say I am still pissed.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:19 AM
mas

:-( I can see another month's wait in your future. You'd be lucky to get it back by Christmas. Have you been visiting them to verify they're doing what they tell you on the phone?

Update on my car:

They replaced the strut and it still did not make a difference in ride hight. Then they found the RR lower control arm was bent. They have ordered new parts and I'll have to go back in sometime this week or next
Old 11-14-2002, 10:02 AM

well, i guess you might be right. he said he has to paint it and check the suspension...if there something wrong with the suspension (which will probably be the case) they have to order more parts...and he said "and you know how long it took us to get the parts for the other stuff"...it doesnt look promising..

As for your car...i hope thats it....and if your shop is having as many problems with getting parts as mine is, then i would count on next week or the week after...

I will go there tomorrow afternoon to see whats up.....Ill keep my fingers crossed...for both of us!

Chris
Old 11-15-2002, 07:40 AM
mas

NO, my shop is having no problems getting parts at all. They order and parts get delivered in 2-3 days.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:19 PM

Nice...I guess my guys suck....

I finally went down there and saw the car...they took pictures every step of the way and HOLY S!...the car was banged up pretty bad...i dont feel bad my car being in the hospital for over two months...they said if the suspension is ok i will have it back no later than friday

BTW, I will definitely not hold onto this one...kinda makes me feel bad...but after what i saw today..no way!

Quick Reply: Car in shop for 2 months.....HELP!!!