S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car Shaking From Stop & Shaking Startup

Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.T
To the OP, there are at least 2 to 3 post a week on this issue and no one has nailed down a definitive cause, mainly because there are a number of things that could cause this. Starting with the iacv cleaning is a good suggestion though. Some folks have had luck with having to replace it.

Look in the "Faq's DIY and maintenance" section of this forum's stickies. There are complete write-ups walking you through all the necessary steps. Be sure to read through all of the comments too, a lot of answers are in people's results.

yeah I agree!... (lets not turn out like other forums and just yell SEARCH at em) give the OP a clickable link (someone ..... i couldnt find it)
Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jl56tc
Originally Posted by MR.T' timestamp='1383757261' post='22864381
To the OP, there are at least 2 to 3 post a week on this issue and no one has nailed down a definitive cause, mainly because there are a number of things that could cause this. Starting with the iacv cleaning is a good suggestion though. Some folks have had luck with having to replace it.

Look in the "Faq's DIY and maintenance" section of this forum's stickies. There are complete write-ups walking you through all the necessary steps. Be sure to read through all of the comments too, a lot of answers are in people's results.

yeah I agree!... (lets not turn out like other forums and just yell SEARCH at em) give the OP a clickable link (someone ..... i couldnt find it)
Yeah, I have been noticing the fact there isn't a definitive answer. IAC and ECU resets tend to always show up though. Links would be nice, that way I can give some things a try and rule them out.

Here's a video I found from another forum. Very similar to my problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VEezI4XKB5w
Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by MR.T
Originally Posted by iamxpL' timestamp='1383741372' post='22863974
the re learn process requires you to follow these steps.

1. reset battery

2. turn on ignition and fire her up

3. quickly press the gas pedal and hold at 5k rpm's till fans kick on.

4. once fans kick on let idle for 5 mins?

Also see if you can get your alternator checked. might be dropping voltage.

This is all correct except for: you hold it to 3k not 5k. And yes it's fine to do on a cold motor.

Could anyone confirm which one? As far as I know, they both could be right? Maybe 5k for AP1 and 3k for AP2? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM

My service manual says 3k, but it's just really a way to get the motor up to temp without letting it idle.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

If it were me, I'd remove the iac, split the halves and free up the shaft with your fingers.

Spray cleaning is hit or miss and can make it worse.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
If it were me, I'd remove the iac, split the halves and free up the shaft with your fingers.

Spray cleaning is hit or miss and can make it worse.
listen to Billman, if you didn't know it already he's kinda the man around here.

here is a link to the stickie section https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/548...d-maintenance/

tons of good reading in here.

look for:

"Engine almost stalls at a stop. Engine idle drop/studder/bog."

"How To Clean IAC Valve: Pictures"

""MAP Whack" How-To"

they'll all lead you in the general direction, but like in most cases, start with the most probable cause first.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 AM

Alright thanks! I'm currently at work but just by looking at the sticky, it looks like a GREAT place to refer to. I'll look through it later tonight and give some of them a shot this weekend on my days off. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

btw youll need a special torx bit to seperate.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

A T20 5 point bit to be exact. (pentacle bit is the mechanics slang)

There are likely only two places you will find this rare tool, and that's on a tool truck or online.

Take that valve off and work on a bench. There are tiny special hourglass shaped spacer plates in between the halves that can get lost very easy.

Take it apart, noting the CLOCK position of the shaft. It must be put back the same way.

Once the shaft is revealed, just spin it with your fingers. Give it a few good "whips" with your finger to spin it at high speed.

There are tiny bearings on each end of the shaft, like roller skate bearings. A drop of machine oil in each one is the way to go.

Enjoy your perfect idle pretty much forever.

Spray cleaning is a quick fix, and washes dirt and debris into the bearings. This is why spray cleaning works at first, then fails.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

we should really get a step by step with pictures for this.

Quick Reply: Car Shaking From Stop & Shaking Startup