S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car Running Like Crap!!!!!

Old 07-24-2003, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Running Like Crap!!!!!

Ok heres the deal had the map sensor problem others have had. had the dealer put a new one in and car was fine for a couple weeks. Today it started doing the same thing car just bogging down and stalling out at a stop light. then it got worse car would idle terrible and when i would step on the gas the car would just bog major. black smoke coming out bad. then i get on the freeway and loose all my power car will not go over 3000rpm when i try to go over 3000rpm car starts to just jerk back and forth terrible. it feels like the exhaust is completely closed up.

Of course i do have mods. Comptech SC, apexi exhaust, test pipe, clutch i am running stock spark plugs.

Any ideas of what is wrong with it. gonna take it to the dealership tomorrow so they can find out if there are more than one code for the check engine light being on (always on with test pipe).

need ideas. loose spark plugs i dont know. is it the test pipe?

and yes i have unplugged the new map sensor, have also unplugged battery to reset everything, no luck.

help.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ever try giving your MAP sensor a good WHACK? That usually resolves the problem. I'm sure the more knowledgable guys will chime in.

-Johnny
Old 07-24-2003, 09:09 PM

a whack i tap on it gently. i dont want to break it.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe your test pipe has Bar-B-Q'd your O2 sensor? Are your plugs OK? Gapped right?
With all those mods on your car, it's really hard to tell what has gone wrong. Does the Comptech S/C run a "black box"?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:20 PM

Wow, this sounds like the exact same problem I was having a few weeks ago. I didn't have the black smoke coming out of the car, but did have the stalling, jerking back and forth, etc. I also "whacked" the map sensor a few times. The problem would go away after hitting the map sensor, but would then come back. I finally took it into my dealership. It took them 4 days to find the problem. They told me it turned out it was a loose connector on my Comptech SC(I'm not sure where exactly). They told me they secured the connector and the problem went away. Car has been fine since.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:29 PM

thanks for the info guys, i was guessing the test pipe messd up sensors. or sparks plugs might be messed up.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:47 PM

Sounds like it could be a fuel feed problem too. You might want to check and make sure your fuel filter is clean, and then maybe check the continuity on the fuel pump. Maybe you might have had some bad gas?
Old 07-25-2003, 12:24 AM

yeah im gonna tell the dealership to check all the above stuff. they are pretty good i used to work there and they help me out immemsely
Old 07-25-2003, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BoostedS2K8888
I finally took it into my dealership. It took them 4 days to find the problem. They told me it turned out it was a loose connector on my Comptech SC(I'm not sure where exactly). They told me they secured the connector and the problem went away. Car has been fine since.
I can't believe that after all the trouble and time you went thru to fix it, you didn't even find out the real cause of the problem! maybe it's just me but I dont trust dealers one bit
Old 07-25-2003, 06:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The secondary O2 sensor isn't used for anything other than the CEL, so I wouldn't suspect the test pipe. I would check spark plugs 1st to see if they are fouled from running too rich. I suspect you are running colder than stock plugs which will be more sensitive to fouling.

Quick Reply: Car Running Like Crap!!!!!