S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car running crap, white smoke and burning smell

Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

The oil and coolant look ok to me in those pics.

You didn't answer my question about the amount of smoke. Take a picture of it smoking.

Your "running rough and slow" problem may have nothing to do with whatever you are smelling at the front and back of the car. You'll need to provide more information on how it is not running correctly or take it to a mechanic.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harrison1990,Feb 18 2010, 11:56 AM
oh man,,,the coolant is low because i tried to pinpoint whether i have a HG problem or not, i opened the radiator cap and start the car, some of the coolant just spilt out, so....
however, my coolant expansion tank is always below the min. level, it is have something to do with leaking coolant?
thanks for reply!
Sounds like a busted head gasket...

Mine blew on an old civic I had, and the way I found out was taking the radiator cap off and starting the car. The coolant was exploding out of the radiator like a fountain. If you do try this make sure you are ready for a clean up.

The sweet smell like stated above is coolant burning, if you can't tell, refill your coolant and run the car, if you notice it drops alot again thats also another way to tell.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by essi1553,Feb 18 2010, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a busted head gasket...

Mine blew on an old civic I had, and the way I found out was taking the radiator cap off and starting the car. The coolant was exploding out of the radiator like a fountain. If you do try this make sure you are ready for a clean up.

The sweet smell like stated above is coolant burning, if you can't tell, refill your coolant and run the car, if you notice it drops alot again thats also another way to tell.
yes.my car did that when i open the radiator cap
the coolant was kept spilling out but i can't see any bubbles
is it normal? my coolant level will never drop unless i open the radiator cap while the car is running,
thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by dammitjim,Feb 18 2010, 01:22 PM
The oil and coolant look ok to me in those pics.

You didn't answer my question about the amount of smoke. Take a picture of it smoking.

Your "running rough and slow" problem may have nothing to do with whatever you are smelling at the front and back of the car. You'll need to provide more information on how it is not running correctly or take it to a mechanic.
thanks 4 reply
i just found a video of my car[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsL1PL6TqfU [/media]
as you can see, there was a little white smoke, but sometimes when the car is hot, i will get a lot more in idle or parking my car(first and reverse)
thanks!
and one more question, is it costly to replace the head gasket?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 PM

There is alot of labor involved but the gasket itself is cheap. For an old toyota 4runner I changed the head gasket on cost about 1200, and you should have the head sent to a machine shop to make sure it even and not warped. The gasket itself should range anywhere from $30-200 depending if you get an upgraded copper or whatever version.

If I were you id take it to a mechanic because if it is a blown head gasket you shouldnt drive it, the mixture of coolant and oil will damage the more expensive engine components.

Take the cap off you radiator again, start it, and sit in the car and SLIGHTLY rev your engine. If the coolant comes out in unison with the revs your engine is producing, im 90% sure its your head gasket.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM

Pinpointing where its leaking from (inside your engine compartment) would really help in identifying the problem to. Sometimes its in a hard spot to locate though.

This lists a bunch of ways in determining if you have a blown head gasket: Wiki answers
Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 PM

should i go back to honda dealer? or go to some where else?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 PM

I'd take it to a trustworthy mechanic, the honda dealer will rape you. Just find a mechanic who knows what they are doing and take it there.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by essi1553,Feb 18 2010, 02:42 PM
I'd take it to a trustworthy mechanic, the honda dealer will rape you. Just find a mechanic who knows what they are doing and take it there.
hi thanks very much for reply!
should i do a compression test and leakdown test first?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:23 PM

Well that will also indicate the problem but a trained mechanic could spot it off right away.

The advice I am giving you now is just trying to save you money, I don't know how much they would charge for a compression test. If you take the car to them you can play dumb and just say the car is running like crap, and see what they say.

I hate to say it but the info your providing makes it sound just like a blown head gasket. Have you tried reving the engine with the rad cap off?

and you're welcome

Quick Reply: car running crap, white smoke and burning smell