S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car rolled down with e-brake on

Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey,Jul 28 2006, 04:42 PM
That would be one hell of a slope for it to do that in gear, as you would be turning the motor!!!!
Or it had a REALLY bum clutch.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 28 2006, 02:57 PM
Or it had a REALLY bum clutch.
In downtown Austin (where I live) There are quite a few hills due to the Colorado River. Just head east out of downtown and you are on the eastern edge of the Hill Country lots of hills. The car when it rolled down the hill it had 7K miles. I just took the car in for the 15k service when they balanced the tires they noted them as tons of tread on them I think it was noted as 7/32nds on the back. They were surprised since most are in around 12k. I should get 22-25K out of my tires. Its not abused worn clutch etc. Just a steep hill, car in gear with a brake out of spec.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=TexanS2k,Aug 1 2006, 10:24 PM] In downtown Austin (where I live) There are quite a few hills due to the Colorado River.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Jul 27 2006, 07:23 AM
e-brake in the S2K is notoriously weak to begin with. this doesn't surprise me

Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by RACER,Aug 2 2006, 01:01 AM
But I didn't think it was even worth a smilie.

My ebrake has been "notorious" for working, without fail, each and every time I park the car (on the level or on a hill) in the nearly 6 years I've owned it.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:01 AM

mine rolled down my friends driveway the 2nd week I owned it. I think I just didnt put the ebrake high enough, cause I've had it for about two months now and no problems so far
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Once after some spirited driving i went to see a movie and parked on a slight incline with the ebrake only. Well 2 hrs later my car had rolled back to rest against the other curb. Becasue the rotors cooled they contracted and the brake did not hold. Ever since then i always use gear+brake.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 1 2006, 10:03 PM
I'm not getting where you're going with this. The amount of tread on your tires at any given miles on the clock has no bearing on the state of your clutch. Tire wear is dependent upon the alignment of the suspension and wheels, the tire pressures used, the type of road surface you drive on, the aggressiveness of your cornering style, the way you stop, whether it be city driving or hiway driving and at what ambient temps, the balance of the tires.
Your clutch condition is dependent upon the way you take off (and I'm NOT talking about launching or doing burnouts), the manner in which you do your clutch work when you shift (the timing and coordination of it in relation to your shift and gas application), the adjustment of the clutch throughout its lifespan, the types of terrain in which you start off and your general clutching technique.
Additionally, you did not state what gear you had it in when it rolled down the hill. 1st and reverse are the best gears to use when parked on a hill. Using other gears, it becomes much easier to turn the engine due to gravity. Also, we don't have any idea if your engine's compression or leakdown is normal. Bad compression and leakdown can easily contribute to an engine being turned by the drivetrain while parked on a hill. Even if you have decent compression and leakdown stats, we still don't know if your spark plug were torqued in correctly, whereby there may have been leakage past the plugs.
Lastly, you never gave any indication just how "steep" the hill was that you rolled down. Are you talking about an unusually severe incline which the "normal" car owner would never encounter?

I was using a "bum clutch" as but one single example of what could happen. As you can see, there are many other factors that should be addressed. In any locale where there is likelihood of a motor vehicle operator having to park a manual car on a hill or incline, it is generally taught by driving schools and tested as part of the driver's licencing procedure, to use both ebrake AND selecting a "suitable" gear (that being 1st or reverse for their high mechanical advantage) AND to turn the front tires in such a manner as to either roll into the curb in event of failure of other systems OR, in such circumstances where there are no curbs, to turn the wheels such that the vehicle will roll the least distance, causing the least damage.
You may never be 100% guaranteed that a mishap won't happen, but you can sure take all the steps you possibly can to prevent it. Relying upon a single device is folly. Blaming it on that device is simply "passing the buck".
Sorry,
no to be clear,

Tires... I am not hard on the car. Most tires on a s2k last 7-15K depending on driving style. Mine should last 23K on the rears and were only 1/32 off the front tires.

Clutch... This is my 4 cars with a clutch and a f250 with a clutched used to pull trailers. All my cars have seen more then 70K on each of them and never needed a clutch. I know my style is safe and non abusive.

Gear... The car was in first gear. Like is normaly is at all times when it is parked.

Hill... Where this is located is major incline. My best guess the hill it rolled down was 30-35% grade over a distance of about 50'. The incline is steaper then most parking ramps in a garage.

As for how it was parked it was parked to prevent the most damage.

When inspected by Honda and serviced by Honda the Parking brake was out of spec. With the handel pull 100% up the condiditon could be reproduced. Honda made modification to the adjustment to correct a mfg problem. I am not passing the buck.

I now check the e-brake every so often to make sure it still functions as required. However I do not trust it will work 3 month from today. Since its been 3 weeks since I moved the car and it will be a few more before I move it I sure as $hit will check out the e-brake before I leave it will a valet or park it on a incline. Now I do not think I could ever live where its flat. I like the hills and the mountains too much. From owning this car I have learned that you can not trust every safety device and must test them. $hit is going to happen just do what you can to prevent it.