S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car rolled down with e-brake on

Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Jul 27 2006, 08:35 AM
If your on a hill and your going to roll backwards, aren't you suppose to put it in reverse? or putting it in 1st or 2nd will still do the trick?
I believe the owner's manual for this car makes that recommendation (to leave it in gear when parked). 1st or reverse will have the most holding capacity. Although not many people these days take driving lessons using a manual car, they also teach this in driving school. I am still amazed at how many people still only rely upon just the ebrake when parking and to also think that it's OK not to use a gear because they "think" the ground is level. In the long run, you can't really blame the equipment when all the failsafes are not used.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some cars like my bosses old Saab wouldn't let you take the key out unless the car was in Reverse.

Like XV said, 1st and R have the best holding ability.

What makes me nervous about parking with the top down is that someone can always jump in and roll the car away if they want. Couldn't really do that with an AT
Old 07-27-2006, 10:31 AM

sorry to hear about your story Texan, not just about the s2k. The damage on my car is barely noticeable. I'm just worried about the other guy's car. Makes me scared reading your story that even with the gear on first, the car still rolled back.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Jul 27 2006, 01:04 PM
What makes me nervous about parking with the top down is that someone can always jump in and roll the car away if they want. Couldn't really do that with an AT
I doubt they'd get very far without any steering.

Another good technique when parking on the street on an incline is to cut the wheels to the right. That way if it rolls it will roll into the curb.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I never understood why someone who drives a manual does not put it in gear when parked. When you drive an automatic, do you not put it in park? Or do you leave those in neutral as well? I highly doubt it.

Go ahead and check your rear pad thickness, but that is probably not the issue. This type of post only pops up once a year or so, but often enough non the less.

General thoughts not directed at the OP necessarily......

-Give the E-brake handle a good tug, since as the rotors cool it tends to loosen.
-Leave the car in gear.
-Curb the wheels (actually law in CA if you are parked on an incline)

Follow these rules and maybe it'll be 2 years before we get a post like this.

-Hockey
Old 07-27-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey,Jul 27 2006, 10:55 PM
When you drive an automatic, do you not put it in park? Or do you leave those in neutral as well?
It's a safe bet. They wouldn't be able to get the key out.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hockey,Jul 27 2006, 08:55 PM
-Curb the wheels (actually law in CA if you are parked on an incline)

Follow these rules and maybe it'll be 2 years before we get a post like this.

-Hockey
Well,

Since I know from the past and I am willing to bet this will ONLY work when you park on the street with a curb. I know I set my wheels to turn in to the curb when it is there but 99% of the time I do not park on the street. In my case the car rolled down a VERY steep incline since the parking lot was surfaced on the side of a hill. I know in Austin there is very few places where it is flat and there is parking lots down town. Heck even my house has a 20' elevation change over 25'. My lot is only 50x150.

Other then the car not being in gear. Mine was with the e-brake on.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:26 PM

When I drove thru Texas (on the way to Mardi Gras) I just remember it being flat as a pancake. I saw more slopes on the women, which was a good thing .
Old 07-28-2006, 01:38 PM

i remember reading about this a few times here. not only with just the e-brake, but also sometimes with the car only in 1st w/no e-brake. i guess the best thing to do is use both.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rustywave,Jul 28 2006, 02:38 PM
i remember reading about this a few times here. not only with just the e-brake, but also sometimes with the car only in 1st w/no e-brake. i guess the best thing to do is use both.
That would be one hell of a slope for it to do that in gear, as you would be turning the motor!!!!

Quick Reply: Car rolled down with e-brake on