S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car rolled down with e-brake on

Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car rolled down with e-brake on

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had problems with their e-brake. Just last night, I had parked in the second floor of my gym's parking structure. I had parked SEVERAL times (I mean in the hundreds) in this same spot with my e-brake on but not on first gear. 30 minutes inside the gym, another person and myself get a page from the intercom. When we get to our cars, my vehicle's bumper is pressed against his car's left side (driver's side). I get into my car to move it forward, noticing my brake light is on and that I still needed to put my e-brake down. As I put my brake down, I heard the normal loud popping noise as you release the lever. My bumper has a small scratch (2-3 inches), however his car received more damage. 4 small dents (three in the lower driver's side, and one in the rear door's middle area); all dents smaller than a golf ball with a chip of paint missing in the middle of these dents. We exchanged information, and I'm just hoping the price quote isn't high enough that my insurance will need to settle it.

The spot where I park is relatively flat. I say relatively flat because this area flattens out before you turn right going up to the third floor. I always give the e-brake a good yank and never had I experienced it to roll down.Luckily, the distance was no more than 20 feet and he had parked next to a semi-curb/island, allowing my car's momentum to be thwarted a little.

I'm also wondering how did his car, 04 Nissan Altima, receive more damage than my car. I assume it's because front and rear bumpers are designed to absorb more impact than side doors?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Banned

thats why you need to buy wheel chocks if you dont want to put it in gear.

People with Remote star capable alarms use wheels chocks (the intelligent ones at least) since they are afraid of what happened to you.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:56 PM

I think those would be too much of a nuisance everytime I park, let alone someone might steal them. I'll just start putting the gear on first everytime now. I guess I had to learn the hard way...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:24 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to check your emergency brake. It wears out like anything else. Maybe the cable's stretched, maybe you didn't pull it hard enough. It's only 1 of two things.

1) You didn't pull it hard enough.

2) The brakes need some work.

It's a 2000 so it's getting pretty old. I'd simply get the rear brakes checked out.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:36 AM

I think it's a good habit to pull the hand brake AND leave it in gears - just in case. When I first learned to drive manual, I would only pull the hand brake and I did that for many years. Later on, I learn the benefits of doing both.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:07 AM

Yes I have had that problem
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=294832&st=0
Old 07-27-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

e-brake in the S2K is notoriously weak to begin with. this doesn't surprise me
Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same problem, luckly it was in the garage.

If your on a hill and your going to roll backwards, aren't you suppose to put it in reverse? or putting it in 1st or 2nd will still do the trick?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you didn't put the car in gear?

definitely get the brake checked out..but always park in gear. Use 1st gear when parking uphill and in reverse when parking downhill.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The E-brake is easy to adjust, you need a 10mm open end wrench, The adjuster is under the console cover.

Quick Reply: Car rolled down with e-brake on