S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car refuses to start after journey

Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car refuses to start after journey

Help!

On Wednesday I drove 220 miles in horrendous rain and when I arrived I switched off the car whilst I unloaded her, five minutes later I tried to start her and she wouldn't. All the correct dashbaord lights were on, I got out of the car locked her, re-opened her and still nothing, pressing the engine start resulted in silence, the car didn't even attempt to turn the starter motor. An hour later she started without a problem.

Today she started first time, driving home, I stopped after 90 miles to get some petrol. Something told me to park in the supermarket carpark first. I popped into the supermarket, returned to the car and she was dead again. I tried again after 5 mins or so (a break of about 15 mins) and she started, unwilling to risk her not restarting I filled up with petrol at a pay at pump and left the engine running.

I am now home and yet again have a dead car, I will try her again shortly and I am sure she will start.

Is there anyone out there that has any suggestions as to what the problem could be???

Loops
Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if this seems obvious but have you checked the battery terminal connections? If its not that, it could be internal to the battery, maybe get it tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2012, 08:58 AM

I will take a look at the battery, not something I had considered due to the fact that all the correct dashboard lights are on.

BTW, as predicted, I have now been able to start her!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Does your fuel pump prime? if not, it could be the main relay. Here's a story... I had same problems after long trips or driving a good distance (especially in the summer) which heated up the engine bay really good, apparently it heat soaked my starter and only would start after I let it sit for a while or push started or tapped the starter with a screwdriver. My fix: starter heat shield, then it was good to go. Other than that this issue is a pain in the ass cause it could be a good amount of things. Good luck
Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 AM

I don't hear the pump prime, when I switch on, the fascia lighs appear as expected, but I get silence when I press the starter button.

The first journey lasted four and a half hours, the journey back today I took the break after 90 minutes (the fuel stop), and then it was a further 3 hours home. All journeys were on main roads (dual carriageways) predominantly in 6th gear with very little driving on the slower roads, so it is possible that the engine compartment was pretty warm! But....if I leave the car for a while, it starts, which as you suggest could be because it's cooled.

Thank you for the suggestion. What did you use for the heat shield?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Just a starter heat shield. You might want to check your main relay before you start paying for stuff, it might be fried.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks again, I'll take a look at the main relay. I'd prefer to work through the no cost options initially before I start spending any money!

However, I'll take a look on eBay and see how much I can pick up a starter heat shield for and if it's not too much it may be something I should get anyway.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:35 PM

Starter motor needs removing and refurbishing or a good clean.

Had this with my FTO, it would start fine when cold but wouldnt start when warm (after a trip out).

Really annoying!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM

So far I have had two pointers to the stater motor. At least it's something I should be able to do without involving the main dealer. I am now more nervous about going out in the car in case she lets me down in the most awkward of places, eg a petrol station! Usually I wouldn't notice it being a problem as once I've driven somewhere the car usually has enough time to cool down before I use her again. It's possible I've had the problem for quite a while.

Maybe the problem isn't as scary financially as I first envisaged!

Thanks for your suggestion
Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until you get it fixed, try to park on a slope.

Quick Reply: Car refuses to start after journey