S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car pulls to the right under power

Old 08-23-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Car pulls to the right under power

My car pulls to the right under power. It's not severe as and can be corrected with a little steering input, but definitely noticeable. Once I get off the gas the car shifts slightly to the left. The alignment is fine (had it checked) and I'm running relatively new tires (less than 3k miles 595 RSRRs) so I'm not really sure what could be causing this. My alignment guy suggested checking out my diff mounts after he noticed the pull; looking to crowd source some other suggestions before I crawl underneath the car this weekend.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you checked tire pressures? These cars are super finicky about pressures.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

Yup, check your rear tire pressure. First time it happened to me I thought my rear end was going out.LOL Just low pressure in one tire. It's like a built in rear tire pressure monitor.

ROD
Old 08-24-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesD89
My car pulls to the right under power. It's not severe as and can be corrected with a little steering input, but definitely noticeable. Once I get off the gas the car shifts slightly to the left. The alignment is fine (had it checked) and I'm running relatively new tires (less than 3k miles 595 RSRRs) so I'm not really sure what could be causing this. My alignment guy suggested checking out my diff mounts after he noticed the pull; looking to crowd source some other suggestions before I crawl underneath the car this weekend.

Thanks
Had same problem and ended up being siezed rear calipers... right one didnt move at all and left one would drag on the disk. Probably not your issue but just an idea
Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Most likely cause is rear tires aren't the exact same diameter. As states, these cars are hyper sensitive to this. Most likely reason for size mismatch is uneven tire pressures.

But it could also be manufacturing tolerances of the new tires, especially if they were not made in the same factory. Tire Rack has had to replace tires on a handful of occasions due to this.

Check your tire diameters. Once you.are sure pressures are identical, measure diameter of both and compare. Get some string that doesn't have any stretch, wrap around tire center, mark string overlap. Do same other side, make sure same exact size.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I can attest to the rear tire pressure effect. Tiny leak from a puncture in one of mine and the car was squirrely even in normal driving. Once the leak was patched from the inside all was well again. Hopefully it's this simple.

-- Chuck
Old 09-05-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The S2k is very sensitive to ANY differences between R and L rear tires.

If you are running a square setup, try swathing R and F tires. If you aren't switch L and R rears. If it changes, it's due to some tiny difference between the R and L rear tires.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerXI
Have you checked tire pressures? These cars are super finicky about pressures.
Almost guaranteed.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem after replacing one tyre with one of the same make and type. I could actually change lanes just by accelerating and backing off. Swapped tyres L+R and it swapped directions. Turns out although the older tyre wasnt very worn the newer one was of a 'new and improved compound' and was a big part of the problem, replaced older tyre and the problem went away.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

It would be nice if the OP would come back onto his post and tell us what he found. Hell, its been over a month you think he's found what the problem was by now.

ROD

Quick Reply: Car pulls to the right under power