S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car pulls to left under acceleration and then back to the right with decel.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Had this problem not too long ago. The reason was because my rears were asymmetrical. Asymmetrical tires can wear unevenly.Upon acceleration, the car will launch itself into a direction whether it be left or right. It is noticeable past 40 mph and feels like the car is swaying to a particular direction. I corrected this by going with symmetrical tires. I've also learned that alignment setting or incorrect tire pressure or tire defect can be the lead cause of uneven wear of the tires.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but the issue originally described has started to happen again (much more mildly). After having the new tires replaced at costco, I immediately noticed one of my rears felt off balance. It felt super bumpy, even on smooth pavement. I brought it in as soon as possible and had them re-balance the wheel and inspect the tire for defects. They told me my rim was bent along the inside lip. It isn't a typical bend where the lip juts inward. If you look at the wheel it still looks like the lip is a perfect circle. The way the bend was identified was by placing the wheel on the balancing machine, rotating it, and having a stationary object close to the inside lip. When the wheel is spinning you can see the inside lip move in and out just ever so slightly. I'm guessing this caused the uneven tire wear and caused my original symptoms. Has anyone had this happen before? I was suprised the wheel was bent because it has zero curb rash and has only been driven 58K miles. I am going to drop the wheel off tomorrow at a shop that specializes in bent wheel repair. The owner, who I spoke with over the phone, seemed very certain they could repair my wheel without any issues. Hopefully this will fix my problem.

As a side note...maybe I should just pick up a rear wheel off of a member on this forum. Does anyone know anyone trying to get rid of an AP2V1 rear wheel (17x8.5) in chrome? (yes I hate chrome too, but its what came on the car and I haven't had the money lying around to get a nice set of wheels yet...hopeing to get the Advan RG2's someday..)