S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car pulls to left under acceleration and then back to the right with decel.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check the rear anti roll bar mounts / bushes and suspension bushes
if the direction is changing from being driven to coasting then its more likely to be the alignment of the rear wheels changing.
the torque of the propshaft loads and unloads the differential which in turn transfers the torque to the drive shafts and wheels

Engine mounts would possibly affect a front wheel drive car but not a rear wheel drive.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Sway bar mounts have 0 effect on this.

Chances of you having a bushing bad enough (major missing material, enough to change the toe) to cause torque steer on an s2000 are less the .05 percent.

THIS is what is happening to your car:

Under acceleration, the LSD locks. The car is forced to one side due to ONE tire covering more ground in one revolution (if your left rear tire is taller by a fraction due to pressure, it will force the car right)

When you release the gas, the LSD unlocks, and the car hops back straight (which will feel like an opposite pull)

Take this to the bank, start with the tires.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Guys says it can't be his tires, because his tires are brand new Enjoy:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108..._fromsearch__1
Old 10-09-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Sway bar mounts have 0 effect on this.

Chances of you having a bushing bad enough (major missing material, enough to change the toe) to cause torque steer on an s2000 are less the .05 percent.

THIS is what is happening to your car:

Under acceleration, the LSD locks. The car is forced to one side due to ONE tire covering more ground in one revolution (if your left rear tire is taller by a fraction due to pressure, it will force the car right)

When you release the gas, the LSD unlocks, and the car hops back straight (which will feel like an opposite pull)

Take this to the bank, start with the tires.
Sounds like you know your stuff! I'm going to swap the rear wheels later today and will post here once it's done with the result!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had exactly the same issue. mine was huge.
mine would pull to the right and when you lift off would go left. i could drive my car on the freeway with my throttle only.

I had brand new pirelli P ZEROs at the time so wasnt tires.
honda thought it was normal - lol

Mine was my rear sub frame.

In the rear (and front) you have your subframe with 6 bolts holding it in.
over time these bad boys can stretch.
in the rear of the car - in the subframe there is an alignment hole. your meant to stick a big screw driver in that hole and you will soon see whether your sub frame is perfectly lined up with the chassis.
I did it and it was miles out. can be caused from hitting a decent pot hole etc

I hightly recommend SPOON RIGID COLLAR KIT. this aligns your sub frame PERFECTLY to your chassis. followed by a good wheel alignment and you should be fine.

things i would check are:
front toe arms (i had one come lose on track)
wheel alignment
wheels
SUBFRAMES front and rear.

my subframe was so far out it was a joke. i got 2 wheel alignments and still didnt fix anything.
i also did a full spoon bush kit and the car feels brand new now. lol

This is your installation reference hole for the rear
make sure you put a big screw driver in and the screw driver should be dead straight. if on an angle your subframes out. loosen bolts, straighten and tighten to specific torque shown.

My link

RIGID COLLAR KIT

My link

good luck
Old 10-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Last night I lifted the car up to look into the issue. I found part of a screw lodged into one of the grooves of the right rear tire. Not sure how it's not leaking air. I swapped the wheels and it pulled the other direction as predicted. I plan on taking it into a tire shop to see how uneven the tire has worn because I'm 99% sure it's repairable. If I need a new set of rubber does anyone have any recommendations for a good all season tire? It has to be all season because the rainy season is about to start in Seattle. I got a quote for $752 for Michelin pilot sport AS3's from Costco. So I'm leaning towards that if I need a new set.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Oh I also checked the alignment of the rear subframe which was dead on. And also checked all of the bushings and suspension components. Good to go!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Old 10-11-2014, 09:07 AM

UPDATE: took the car into a tire shop yesterday to have the wheel repaired. Had it repaired and it did not fix the problem. Went to costco and had four new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's installed. Problem fixed!!

Thanks everyone for all of your help!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Most tires come with warranty for defects, if your tire isn't worn you could have contacted the manufacturer and gotten new tires on the house minus the cost of install.

Quick Reply: Car pulls to left under acceleration and then back to the right with decel.