S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car overheating

Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car overheating

Ok so long story shot cams locked up. tore the engine down replaced piston rings, crank bearings, cams, cam caps removed a/c and heater. got it all back together to day. adjusted my valves are a little loose I forgot to bleed the coolant system. car had coolant and oil in it forgot to bleed it. drove car about about 2 miles got 4bars then 5 so I shut the car off. Went to eat. So i decided to baby it and there was plenty of areas to stop and let the car cool off. Car was fully cold when I got back in it. So drove the car about 2 more miles got back up to 5 bars. Shut the car off. But left the key on. Noticed that the fans were not running. its really cold outside so my wife was following so i got in here car. Well checked the temp. the fans were now working. The car got down to 2 bars so I drove the last 2 miles to my apt. the car got to 6bars for a sec killed the car and coasted down the road and into the apt. pushed it into a parking spot. the key was on and no fans again. Any ideas?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

6 bars on an AP1 is bad. Hope you didn't warp anything.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 PM

it wasn't long the car was acually shut down at 5 then hit 6 for maybe a sec then back down
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

the firts thing to check is air in the coolant system, start by burping it a couple times. Hot coolant may not be making it to the sensor to activate the fans with an air lock. Also check all of your electrical connectors to make sure one didn't get left off during the install.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 AM

5 bars = death...4 bars is already overheating. I have never seen my car hit 4 bars, even on a slightly leaky radiator.

Definitely check for air in the system.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you just re-ring the pistons? And you used cam caps from another car? If so, the cooling is the least of your problems.

Driving at 5 bars I would expect you've done permanent damage. Especially if you didn't bleed; when you don't bleed there's enough air in the system that you may have been superheating what coolant was in there and the engine could very well have been hotter than the water temp indicated.

First, I would do a leakdown and make sure it's even worth diagnosing further. The engine may be trash at this point.

If the leakdown is OK, fill and properly bleed the coolant. Do it per the book, THEN jack the front of the car up and run it with the nose in the air while bleeding the system, and letting the car get fully up to temp so that the t-stat opens and fans come on, while adding fluid. To avoid a mess I use tubes from the bleed ports running into a catch container, and a large funnel on the radiator.

I've found the OEM bleed procedure to be inadequate on some cars after a rebuild. Or at least, there seems to be air trapped that finds somewhere to hide even when you get steady streams out of the bleed ports, until you get the car up to temp.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

5 bars on an AP1 is 261 degrees.
6 bars is 273.

Not good.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 PM

ruh rooooh. hope for the best.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Car seems to be fine had air in the system. going to do futher tests to check everything out though.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got to bleed the air from the cooling system at the throttle body, and at the firewall. Then warm up the engine (at idle, or just slow driving), then let it cool all the way, at which point the system will suck up a bunch of coolant from the reservoir tank. Top it off, and you should be good to go.

Did you happen to use Plastigage on the cam caps? It may be not too late.

After you sort out the overheat prob, check compression in the engine. You may still be ok, because even though temp sensor showed mad high temp, if the sensor was inside the air bubble at the time, it showed a much higher than actual temp.

Quick Reply: Car overheating