S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car Misfired and Hesitated while driving - now it won't start - HELP

Old 06-29-2021, 01:39 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
How the heck did the VTEC get stuck? Steel shaft wore out the aluminum pivot points? Never heard of this happening in any Honda.
Same question I had until I researched it. In mostly other Hondas this phenomenon occurred but the S2000 is not impervious to it. Sometimes the solenoid can get stuck closed where you get no VTEC and at other times (and most often) it gets stuck open like in my case. Why this happened is anyone's guess. I believe my '02 solenoid took a hammering from don't care transit ppl when shipping it to me. The OPS connector was in fact broken - the plastic part of the connector! Maybe that's why the plunger eventually got stuck. Another theory is that the solenoid may not "live long" with low VTEC engagement...but that sounds unlikely to me. I read that theory on a forum where someone had this issue with their Civic solenoid getting stuck open. Another reason why that wouldn't hold water in my case is my original solenoid has been engaging VTEC crossover from 4500 ish rpm for months before I installed the newer one and it never got stuck.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:21 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Good lord. What a nightmare. How in the world did you figure that out?
Wish we could sort out the cause to help folks avoid the issue. Maybe replace the VTEC solenoid every 15 years?

Old 06-29-2021, 10:36 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Have you tried removing the top 3 bolts? That is the solenoid that activates the plunger. Maybe the solenoid itself is broken, I doubt it's the plunger, but it might be.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Guys!!!! PROBLEM SOLVED - it was a stuck VTEC solenoid that caused all this havoc
Glad you got it figured out!

I'm also curious as to how you got to the VTEC solenoid. just started pulling parts? Would also be curious to hear with regards to a VTEC autopsy.
The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (06-30-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Car can idle on vtec you just have to tune it lol. Only reason to do so would be, for the a rowdy cam idle sound if that's your thing. I kind of want to try it and be able to push a button and make it idle on vtec just for kicks.

Last edited by F1TwoThousand; 06-29-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:00 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Are you confident that you have identified the root cause and corrected it?
Old 06-30-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Good lord. What a nightmare. How in the world did you figure that out?
Wish we could sort out the cause to help folks avoid the issue. Maybe replace the VTEC solenoid every 15 years?
Tell me about it! I wish I looked there sooner. When I recorded a video for my friend at the end of it I said "it sounds like a race car with very aggressive cams...". That was the clincher
I then decided to do a little research first to see if the solenoid can actually fail or malfunction like that. I found such info. I then went to disconnect the solenoid but leave it on the head. Tried to start and the problem persisted. Then I removed the solenoid. That's when I saw the difference between it and my original one.
My original is 21 years old and has accommodated a lower VTEC crossover courtesy of AEM Series 2 for months and it never malfunctioned My '02 solenoid did though...it took a knock during transit though. That much was obvious by the OPS connector that lost some of its plastic. Still, it shouldn't have gotten stuck on me
Old 06-30-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Have you tried removing the top 3 bolts? That is the solenoid that activates the plunger. Maybe the solenoid itself is broken, I doubt it's the plunger, but it might be.
I thought of doing that. I want to see what's up.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by zze86
Glad you got it figured out!

I'm also curious as to how you got to the VTEC solenoid. just started pulling parts? Would also be curious to hear with regards to a VTEC autopsy.
Arigato
When I recorded a video for my friend at the end of it I said "it sounds like a race car with very aggressive cams...". That was the clincher
I then decided to do a little research first to see if the solenoid can actually fail or malfunction like that. I found such info. I then went to disconnected the solenoid but leave it on the head. Tried to start and the problem persisted. Then I removed the solenoid. That's when I saw the difference between it and my original one (that my '99 model's plunger was fully closed whilst my '02 wasn't )
Old 06-30-2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand
Car can idle on vtec you just have to tune it lol. Only reason to do so would be, for the a rowdy cam idle sound if that's your thing. I kind of want to try it and be able to push a button and make it idle on vtec just for kicks.
Yeah of course it can be tooned to do so but I ain't going that route hehe. 2 Step is all I need
Give it a try and let us know how it pans out.

Quick Reply: Car Misfired and Hesitated while driving - now it won't start - HELP