S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car is lunging at low rpms?

Old 09-10-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdsS2K,Sep 10 2007, 08:02 PM
Hey man I have the same problem with my car when Im in traffic like that. I have a Injen cold air intake and a veilside vented hood and my car still does the whole lunging thing. The only thing I have found is just to push in the clutch and start again untill it stops or just let it coast.

Are you saying you tried what I suggest above and it didn't work, or you don't want to try it and are willing to live with it?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=KingVR,Sep 7 2007, 01:16 PM] I can attest that it is NOT his driving style.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im saying that I have a injen cai and a veilside vented hood and it didnt solve the problem for me. I also changed the spark plugs and it still happens when Im in traffic like that. The only thing that I have found is just to keep the RPMs steady or just let it coast.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44,Aug 31 2007, 01:58 PM
It's driver error. I've posted this a dozen times. Don't blame the car.

When you press on the accelerator, the car lunges forward. That causes your body (and your right leg) to move backward, causing the car to buck. Your reflexes press on the pedal more, causing the cycle to start again.

You don't even know you're doing it. Heat soak aggrivates the situation, but the primary cause is that your entire leg is going forward and back, causing the car to buck. Remember: you're sitting very low in a car with a very stiff seat and suspension, so the slightest movement of your leg will transfer the force to the gas pedal.

Solution: Cram the right side of your right foot against the carpet to the right. Let the friction between the carpet and your foot prevent you from moving your foot on the gas pedal. When you want to move the gas pedal, put the force on the carpet as well, not just on the gas pedal.

You will be amazed that the problem disappears.
I've learned this also. During heavy traffic, I just follow semi trucks since they just creep along at 5 MPH unlike drivers in cars that constantly stop and go every time a little gap appears.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:50 PM

I have this problem also that started recently I have an 01 with 50k miles. I also have an injen cai so I just dont think it is heatsoak plus it does it even when its in the 70's here..
Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 PM

it does almost feel like a fuel cut like from a fuel filter clogged or something except there is none of the sputtering sound just jerking.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 PM

What/where is the IAC sensor? I want to try cleaning it.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing you can do to help is to get rid of the slack in the accelerator cable. Make sure you don't take out too much slack though. You will also find that the throttle response will feel more direct.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Traffic jam is horrible here also in the morning. I live in Vancouver (the one in Canada), and so many hills here. I always do the start and stop and I can't really drive for a long time without having to stop. Anyways I really wonder what kind of mileage you get with this kind of driving? I'd say 80% of the time I'm doing city drive with pretty terrible traffic jam. I get about 320km (about 200 miles) per tank. I just feel the mileage is so low and isn't very efficient. Also does it take more gas to travel at 3rd gear with 2~3k rpm than travel at 2nd gear with 4~5 rpm? Lastly, when you leave ur car outside parking lot for like 8 hours in hot weather with bright sunshine, does it affect ur mileage? Last time I had like 5 bars left on my gas meter, and then when I started driving, after like 15 min it dropped to like 1 bar and I had to immediately refuel. :S
Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Aug 31 2007, 04:59 AM
It's the slop in the driveline. For whatever reason Honda saw fit to give us quite a bit of play in the driveline and in certain situations it starts an oscillation that can only be stopped by disengaging the power application (push in the clutch)

Get under your car and twist your driveshaft (preferably while the car is not moving). You will be amazed at how far it will move. I have compared it a number of cars and it easily moves twice as far as any other car I've seen.

Quick Reply: car is lunging at low rpms?