S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car just broke down. Vortech sc. Aem ems. Weak power and sounds like an sti so misfire I'm guessing.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Car just broke down. Vortech sc. Aem ems. Weak power and sounds like an sti so misfire I'm guessing.

So I just did a pull and felt pretty strange. Half a mile later it felt really weak on power. It then sounded like an sti rumble.
I turned it off and then back on. Could smell lots of fuel and definitely had a boxer engine sound.

I have aem ems so no way to check cel. It certainly sounds like amisfire so maybe coilpack or spark plug. Or possibly something much worse.
Is there any tests I can easily do to pinpoint the issue? Unfortunately I font have any toolsto pull sparkplugs as I'm nowhere near my house.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Check the oil?

If I were you I would have it towed home to your tools or to a shop that knows modified S2000. Personally, I'd tow it home and go from there.

If you have something that can remove the coil packs you could try swapping those around.

I would not drive the car if I were you.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sti rumble sounds like coil pack or ignition related issue i,e misfire or like what happend to me in one other honda i used to own, ecu went bye byes on me. but i would definitely follow elliers advice about towing it home because i could be very wrong. if you heard a knock, ping or any hollow metal sounds then you definitely blew something. having ems does suck ass for not being able to pull codes and diagnose.

im gonna say spark issues due to the smell of gas.

best of luck
Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 PM

sti rumble sounds like coil pack or ignition related issue i,e misfire or like what happend to me in one other honda i used to own, ecu went bye byes on me. but i would definitely follow elliers advice about towing it home because i could be very wrong. if you heard a knock, ping or any hollow metal sounds then you definitely blew something. having ems does suck ass for not being able to pull codes and diagnose.

im gonna say spark issues due to the smell of gas.

best of luck
Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Former Sponsor

I know it's not the oil. That's always checked.

Anyone know if I pull the coil packs and that is the issue will it sound worse if I pull a good coil pack? Don't know if one is bad will 2 coils removed sound worse than one.
That way I can see if that's the issue.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 PM

if you fear the worse, first thing you should do is a compression test imo
Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

just disconnect each coil pack, one at a time, while the motor is running, the bad one is the one that has no change in the idle.

once you isolate the coil pack/cylinder you can try swapping coil packs and repeating the steps above. if the problem follows the coil pack you've identified your problem otherwise you have other problems.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok cool. Yeah that's what I figured. Will give it a try in the morning.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Any updates man?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Got it towed to my tuner. He thought it might be the coil driver in the aem ems.

Looks like it was an easier fix. Seems to have blown 2 coil packs not just one as I thought.

I replaced one coil pack yesterday morning and at first it seemed to be fixed. 10 minutes later it started misfiring again and wouldn't drive.
I didn't pick it back up yet but he said he took it for a spin and boosted great and all so hopefully that was it.
Seems weird that 2 would go together simultaneously but seems to be the case here.

Quick Reply: Car just broke down. Vortech sc. Aem ems. Weak power and sounds like an sti so misfire I'm guessing.