S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car hard to shift into gears..

Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spets
Try changing the trans fluid.
x2
Old 12-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Trans fluid will not help this issue. If you read, the problem was solved with clutch fluid.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Hi Guys-- have been experiencing the same problem although mine is just hard to shift even when the car is off and parked..hmmm. Can anyone recommend the proper clutch fluid? Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy J
Hi Guys-- have been experiencing the same problem although mine is just hard to shift even when the car is off and parked..hmmm. Can anyone recommend the proper clutch fluid? Thanks

If it's hard to shift with the engine off, it's not your clutch.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't such a thing as "clutch fluid" persay. It's just brake fluid. Any Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid will suffice.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Ok thanks. Sticky gear shifts, sticky even at neutral moving the shifter left to right. I tried replacing the tranny fluid and still the same issue. Anyone has an idea coz I hope I dont have to do a very expensive tranny replacement.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by getmadboy
Just making a note...at times if I pump the clutch pedal, it gets easier to shift. and my pedal has a bunch of free play at the top that wasn't there before...
Check your clutch fluid.. had this happen to me also.. car wouldn't go into gear if it was cold and would only shift properly when warmed up. Bleed the system and it fixed the problem.. Had a lot of free play just as you described.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Ok thanks. Sticky gear shifts, sticky even at neutral moving the shifter left to right. I tried replacing the tranny fluid and still the same issue. Anyone has an idea coz I hope I dont have to do a very expensive tranny replacement.
This one is probably the shifter needing to be regreased. Anyone agree?

My issue was the clutch fluid in the reservoir was low. After I filled it up, it was good to go.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to bleed the system and replace the clutch fluid. Currently, the clutch fluid level is optimal> I already looked at the shifter- definitely not the shifter. Infact, if I cant get it right by bleeding and replacing the clutch fluid, I want to remove and replace the shift rod, though I have doubts, this might not even be the problem. This sucks...
Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Bringing this one back. Need help please.

I have a 1999 S2000 with about 130,00 miles on it. My car sees a lot of track time. Nurburgring to be exact. So it gets punished and then over maintained. Within the past few months I have replaced the clutch slave and master cylinder due to age and leaks. Ever since then the car has shifted perfectly. Recently replaced the tranny fluid and the car still felt perfect. Not an issue at all. I took the car to the track Saturday, ran a few laps and no issues. Took it back Sunday as well. Lap 1, the car felt poor. Third gear was very hard to get into. Lap 2 it was nearly impossible to get into third and the rest of the gears were hard as well. So I just took the car back home. Now as I am driving, every gear is nearly impossible. I am thinking something is broken in the clutch, similar to post #7. So far I have tried a clutch fluid flush. It didn't help at all. Also tried to adjust the rod, no help. The pedal feels great and the tranny shifts perfect when the engine is off or at idle. I don't think its tranny fluid because its so new and shifted fine after it was put in. Every once in a while I get a shift that feels near normal. I don't want to pull the tranny unless I have to. So far... its looking like I have to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Quick Reply: Car hard to shift into gears..