S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car goes to shit at Vtec.....?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OR it could be electrical like we were thinking last night.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry7883383

SOLVED! It was that damn yellow/green (I'll call it YG for short) wire that send 12v to the solenoid. Here's what I did:

I hooked a multimeter up to the single YG wire that goes into the top of the " VTEC Solenoid Valve Assembly" and placed the meter in my lap. Then I went driving to see if 12v was getting to the solenoid when VTEC conditions were met, and I found the 12v was NOT making it to the solenoid.

I then started to run a continuity check on the YG wire from the ECU connector to the single pin solenoid connector (I should have thought of that before), and found the pin at the ECU end was starting to fall out. I reset the pin with some pin tools I have and now everything is good.

Lesson: That 12v signal is NOT monitored by the ECU. Once VTEC conditions are met the ECU sends 12v out to the solenoid but doesn't monitor further to see if the VTEC actually engages or if the solenoid recieves that 12v signal.

Want to test this? Go under your hood, unplug the single YG wire at the top of the solenoid and go for a drive. You will not VTEC, and you will not get a CEL

Check that wire on the solenoid. Make sure it isn't loose in the plug.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NVMY4N, have you guys gone through the trouble shooting procedure in the shop manual?
If so, what did you discover when you checked the oil pressure?

I also think you need to check the MAP and MAP wiring if you haven't done so already.

Good luck - keep us posted.
(I'm confused too.)
Old 03-30-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Andy.

But Im not Real Sure on the YG wire thing......Im ignorant to the majority of this stuff........well maybe not ignorant just reluctant, (Im a p*ssy when it comes to working on this car. it's too intimidating)

Red MX5 - No to your first question......Not completely through it, I don't have a shop manual. I had Andy on the phone last night. So he might be able to say we went through everything or not. Thats why hes posting all this other info - he's puzzled too.

I don't know what you mean by checking the Map......I have unsnapped the plug from the sensor twice....there is nothing to clean - it looks almost new (hard to believe yes....but..... ???? )

As for the wires....I did see any that were loose or whatever....but I have not went through each wire with a multi meter or test light.....so I guess I should do that......

ahhh I don't have time for all this

Old 03-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Okay so I went for another computer run.....he was tied up so I have to go back in a little while...

So on my way back I was thinking....Ill just make a video of it so they can actually see what is going on...(it may or may not help)

So during the recording.....I try 2 times, both times I get to 6200ish and it's like a rev limiter......

3rd time, vtec no more, it's not even trying to engage now. Just continues to rev like a non-vtec motor......

So I make a phone call and now he is thinking mechanical issues.

Ill post the vid when it gets on the net through You Tube....it's uploaded just not "live" yet.

Oh it's probably NSFW if you turn the vol up....the third time I drop the Fbomb
Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man I wanna know what the problem is.
subscribed.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Mar 30 2007, 01:50 PM
NVMY4N, have you guys gone through the trouble shooting procedure in the shop manual?
If so, what did you discover when you checked the oil pressure?

I also think you need to check the MAP and MAP wiring if you haven't done so already.

Good luck - keep us posted.
(I'm confused too.)
we went through some of it, but not all. The oil pressue switch has not been tested.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by NFRAP1,Mar 30 2007, 04:06 PM
man I wanna know what the problem is.
subscribed.
I bet I wanna know more than you!

Strange thing - I was talking with Jeff (HTG) and he said someone called him this morning with just about the same problem....
Old 03-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMY4N,Mar 30 2007, 01:16 PM
I bet I wanna know more than you!
definitely man.
If it were me I would be ing.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:27 PM

Oh I have been.

It's not the fact that it's messed up. I mean I'd be if it was something major.....but relieved at the same time b.c I actually know what Im looking at.

I mean it could be an easy fix. Or tear the whole thing down. I just wanna know.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Video - of the car hitting 6-6200k and bouncing as well as the new problem of no VTEC at all

Quick Reply: Car goes to shit at Vtec.....?