S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car goes to shit at Vtec.....?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by W0Pdego,Mar 29 2007, 11:34 PM
Eventually i discovered that the catalytic converter was the problem. I could be driving along, and as soon as i tried to rev high, it was like the car was getting cut off from air, fuel, or something. I would compare it to running a foot race and tripping and falling on your face in the home stretch. Hope that helps.
Well, I do have a Comptech Cat. and that SOB has gave me problems in the past with the baffles that are inside. (it has either 2 or 3, and one has already came loose and I had to break the one up and knock it out. it was just rattling around in there)

I could try that.
I can Rev the car past 6 and beyond. NP but driving and vtec is what is screwed up.

I guess Ill have to check that too.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So have you considered investing in the dealership and letting them take a look at it? You know take it for a test drive with the nifty computer thing hooked up and seeing what actually happens when you hit vtec.
They shouldnt charge more then "diagnostic" labor which is $70 at my dealership. well worth the piece of mind imo.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by NVMY4N,Mar 26 2007, 05:44 PM
Okay so the verdict:

VTEC Solenoid

I got home, got the car, MAP Whacked (nothing), drove over to the shop where I have some of my work done, he plugged in the computer and we drove around engaging vtec and it's the solenoid.
silencertk:
Old 03-30-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by NVMY4N,Mar 29 2007, 11:01 PM
Okay

I have replaced the vtec solenoid. Same thing.

I also replace the entire housing (metal case) that bolts to the block. The Vtec Solenoid bolts to the housing that bolts to the block.
The only thing that is the same is the Oil Pressure Switch(?) and It was supposedly working correctly when we put it on the computer and drove it.
Ill be doing that again tomorrow afternoon.

I have done everything suggested except the Spark Plugs (Just came in this afternoon) and 2nd O2 sensor......but I would think it would throw a CEL....

Okay besides 6200RMS and < it runs FINE.
silencertk:
Old 03-30-2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by silencertk,Mar 30 2007, 08:13 AM
You know take it for a test drive with the nifty computer thing hooked up and seeing what actually happens when you hit vtec.
They shouldnt charge more then "diagnostic" labor which is $70 at my dealership. well worth the piece of mind imo.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 AM

damn. i called myself reading the thread a few days ago, my memory must be laggin

in my defense ---> you replaced the solenoid. maybe they'll give you another ride and double check it

good luck

nevermind. lol. my memory really needs to be checked. your doin it this afternoon.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 AM

It's cool. That's another thing that is puzzling me. We drove WITH the computer in the car engaging vtec. And he had me do it 4-5 times. And he narrowed it down to the solenoid - b/c the ecu was sending the signal, but it wasn't properly functioning.
And he said that it wasn't oil pressure it was fine, as well as the swtich b/c it was "turning on and off" "like it's suppose to"

I'll be headed back today, I just hope they have enough time to squeeze me in. (He does know Im stopping by today)
Old 03-30-2007, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did he check the MAP signal? Did it look right? I still think this sounds a lot like a MAP sensor issue (just from my personal experience). Try pulling it off, cleaning the connector and plugging it in a securely as possible once more.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:49 AM

[/QUOTE]do you mean, reset the ecu?[QUOTE]
ya
Old 03-30-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry9731803
SOLVE!!! I found the problem. Today I recieved in the mail the Helms manual. With the manual I followed each of the elimination process. Everything checked-out and properly working.

My friend in exospeed noticed the oil filter, and suggest to me to do an oil change. Guess what i found out! The spring inside the filter broke off, basically the oil was free flowing inside the filter.

Further more i compare the filter with the new one, and it was a smaller cylinderical structure.
Brad, you should try changing the oil filter.

Quick Reply: Car goes to shit at Vtec.....?