S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car goes to left once gas pedal is released in high speed

Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 PM
mbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xchino
so today, i found out that all my tire pressure are 32 psi. Maybe its the alignment? This situation im having only happens when i run more than 80mph. Car moves towards the left when i hit the gas, and releasing the gas pedal the car moves to the right.
Does it pull at all when you coast in neutral? Can you tell if the movement is a 'fishtail' (rear-steer) movement?

Tire condition/brakes/alignment are the next things I'd check. After that you might look at wheel bearing, diff, or drive shaft issues.

Since handling problems like this can be quite dangerous you should probably have a shop check it out if you don't find the problem yourself.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mbs
Originally Posted by xchino' timestamp='1342997366' post='21880313
so today, i found out that all my tire pressure are 32 psi. Maybe its the alignment? This situation im having only happens when i run more than 80mph. Car moves towards the left when i hit the gas, and releasing the gas pedal the car moves to the right.
Does it pull at all when you coast in neutral? Can you tell if the movement is a 'fishtail' (rear-steer) movement?

Tire condition/brakes/alignment are the next things I'd check. After that you might look at wheel bearing, diff, or drive shaft issues.

Since handling problems like this can be quite dangerous you should probably have a shop check it out if you don't find the problem yourself.
Neutral is fine, its somewhat a rear steer while i was observing it. I might ask my friend from subaru to do a free alignment for me if not, inspect the stuff you mentioned. Thank you for the info mbs!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Swap rear tires, see if pull changes direction. If it does, the tire on the side as the direction of the pull is possibly defective.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you have the car jacked up, check for loose bearings by wiggling the tires while raised (and ebrake off). There should be no play, if there is, it may be a loose/bad wheel bearing.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Swap rear tires, see if pull changes direction. If it does, the tire on the side as the direction of the pull is possibly defective.
Bingo.

I assure you its the tires causing it. This will prove it.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 AM

Hopefully its just the tires not the bearing, i plan to check everything this week since i have summer school, work and other errands to do but i will keep you guys updated and thank you for the tips, i am learning a lot from you guys
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM

So i found that it was the pax rear tire thats causing the steer and i did an alignment too. I bought 2 rear used tires that are kumhos asx with 8/32 left for $60.

Thank you for all the info guys, i really appreciate it and i learned alot with this kind of matter. XD
Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xchino
So i found that it was the pax rear tire thats causing the steer and i did an alignment too. I bought 2 rear used tires that are kumhos asx with 8/32 left for $60.

Thank you for all the info guys, i really appreciate it and i learned alot with this kind of matter. XD
Good! I'm glad you found the problem.

I sure hope though that before you bought the used tires that you had a guarantee that you could return them and that they'd mount and balance something else at no charge, right?!

Because buying a used set is EXACTLY what could have landed you in the same situation!

I used to buy a lot of used high performance tires for street and track, because I'd go through them so quick. Used tires were saving me lots of money. They go for about half of retail, minus a discount for tread ware. But then, once this pulling thing happened to me twice, I just went back to buying new.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 AM

I have the same problem with my car. I've got Continental ExtremeContact DW's with about 6k miles on them. It seems the sidewalls aren't nearly as ridged as the factory Bridgestones. Could that have anything to do with what I'm feeling? I've got an alignment done from a reputable shop here in town, and it's all perfectly within specification. But drivers side rear has slightly more negative camber then the passenger rear. We are talking two tenths of a degree. That wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NoTorkS2k
I have the same problem with my car. I've got Continental ExtremeContact DW's with about 6k miles on them. It seems the sidewalls aren't nearly as ridged as the factory Bridgestones. Could that have anything to do with what I'm feeling? I've got an alignment done from a reputable shop here in town, and it's all perfectly within specification. But drivers side rear has slightly more negative camber then the passenger rear. We are talking two tenths of a degree. That wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?
No, the OP's tires were defective. It had nothing to do with the brand.

Quick Reply: Car goes to left once gas pedal is released in high speed