S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car dying at idle

Old 01-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dying at idle

Hello all, I am new to this forum as I recently purchased a 2005 Berlina black s2000. Really enjoyed the car until recently. About two weeks ago the car started up fine and while waiting for it to warm up it died after about 20 seconds of idling, started it right up and sounded fine then the same thing happened. I was away from home so took it out to see how it would do under acceleration, under acceleration everything was fine until about 10 min into the drive home. CEL blinked and car shutoff while accelerating, I was pretty close to home at this point to I started it back up and this time the CEL stayed on so I thought I'd stop by auto zone to get it scanned. The drive there was pretty harsh it seemed to have gone into limp mode as it wouldn't rev past 3k and would buck every now and then. Got to auto zone and got it scanned, codes p0339 and p0369 came up being intermittent circuits in camshaft and crankshaft position sensor . So made it home and inspected the connectors, wiring and looked fine, and checked the voltage at each sensor and looked good. So i ordered both cam sensors and crank sensor and installed them when they arrived. Thought I had the problem solved the afternoon I installed the sensors as it drove and idled fine. Until the next morning driving to work it died while stopping at a light. When I got home I inspected ecm wiring, cleaned the iacv, cleaned out map sensor, checked out the grounds, checked the timing and was fine, tried resetting the ecm, and nothing car still dies at idle. After the sensors were replaced the car runs fine under accel no CEL, and idles for about a minute then the CEL blinks and dies. So Im hoping you S2000 gurus have some suggestions on what the issue might be as I seem to be a bit lost here, and thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bernie2.2
Hello all, I am new to this forum as I recently purchased a 2005 Berlina black s2000. Really enjoy the car until recently. About two weeks ago the car started up fine and while waiting for it to warm up it died after about 20 seconds of idling, started it right up and sounded fine then the same thing happened. I was away from home so took it out to see how it would do under acceleration, under acceleration everything was fine until about 10 min into the drive home. CEL blinked and car shutoff while accelerating, I was pretty close to home at this point to I started it back up and this time the CEL stayed on so I thought I'd stop by auto zone to get it scanned. The drive there was pretty harsh it seemed to have gone into limp mode as it wouldn't rev past 3k and would buck every now and then. Got to auto zone and got it scanned, codes p0339 and p0369 came up being intermittent circuits in camshaft and crankshaft position sensor . So made it home and inspected the connectors, wiring and looked fine, and checked the voltage at each sensor and looked good. So i ordered both cam sensors and crank sensor and installed them when they arrived. Thought I had the problem solved the afternoon I installed the sensors as it drove and idled fine. Until the next morning driving to work it died while stopping at a light. When I got home I inspected ecm wiring, cleaned the iacv, cleaned out map sensor, checked out the grounds, checked the timing and was fine, tried resetting the ecm, and nothing car still dies at idle. After the sensors were replaced the car runs fine under accel no CEL, and idles for about a minute then the CEL blinks and dies. So Im hoping you S2000 gurus have some suggestions on what the issue might be as I seem to be a bit lost here, and thanks in advance!
Hey man i think i may know the problem. Have you checked out the coil packs and changed your spark plugs?
Old 01-10-2015, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the response! I checked the plugs and dont look too bad. Is there a way to check the coil packs? As I am getting no misfire car idles fine until it dies.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:57 PM

This ones a bit of a doozy to me haha... buutt i would look into switching out the coil packs. They dont cost to much but it really sounds like they may be the problem. If not then reset the ecu and drive it again. You have already done exactly what i would have done. The coil packs seem to look like the culprit.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Swapping the coil packs only helps troubleshooting if you can trace the bad cylinder and see if it follows the swapped coil. I know its difficult to actually READ a post, but if you did you'd see that he says he is not getting a misfire.

It sounds like you always had 2 issues, and you did fix one of them (stalls, and bad sensors throwing cell). Maybe they were not related at all. So just work this second issue on its own.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Swapping the coil packs only helps troubleshooting if you can trace the bad cylinder and see if it follows the swapped coil. I know its difficult to actually READ a post, but if you did you'd see that he says he is not getting a misfire.

It sounds like you always had 2 issues, and you did fix one of them (stalls, and bad sensors throwing cell). Maybe they were not related at all. So just work this second issue on its own.
Jeez lol okay mybad got it confused with a misfire soooorrryyyyyy... lol

ill pay more attention next time
Old 01-10-2015, 04:21 PM

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mrnC745oz0[/media]
Here's a video I took to help explain the situation