S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car doesnt start after track accident

Old 12-17-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car doesnt start after track accident

...well long story short: I spun out in 120kmh @ the track and my right side had a small meet with a wall. Both wheels broke in, rear axle gone, both control arms gone, lot of other thing gone as well...but that is all ok since I got it all 2nd hand, but the engine doesn't want to start..power is ok, but the ESP light stays on and she engine refuses to start. I've heard of a switch that disconnects after a accident (my airbags did not pop out)

So my questions are:

Whhat makes the engine behave like this?
What does it take to make it start?
Can be a broken engine mount the reason?
Where is the "switch"??

I don't want to take it to the dealer since the insurance is not covering track days anyway and I don't want to have the crash in the records. So please don't send me to the dealer ok?

Thanx!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ummm, <gobsmacked> You've smashed the entire side of your car and you're trying to start the engine?

Any number of things could and probably are wrong. You need to doa full diagnostic on the car and work out what is broken and what isn't. There is no magic switch, just a complex network of important components that all need to be right before you start it.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-18-2004, 04:14 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

I've heard that the UK cars are equipped with a fuel pump inertia switch. Try looking in the owners manual for it's location. I'm not sure if your car is built to the UK or euro standard.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Dec 18 2004, 05:14 PM
I've heard that the UK cars are equipped with a fuel pump inertia switch. Try looking in the owners manual for it's location. I'm not sure if your car is built to the UK or euro standard.
Yes my car is EU spec, thanx for the idea.
I have broken the rear axle, both uper and lower control arms on the right side front & rear are gone, the brake disc rear broke into 3 peaces and the chassis is ok. Just the front and rear fender age going to be replaced and the passangers door, plus the windschield and the right window. There were also two "arms" holding the diff in its possition and one was bended so I am replacing them all.
If someone gives me his e-mail u could post the pix for me.
The whole repair with labour including new repaint in pearl black will run me max 4600USD, I could have a turbo kit for that (((

Anyoneone with the full Helms manual can have a look for me where this fuelpump thing is???
Old 12-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Former Moderator

see if your air pump on the driverside is ok. it does something with the spark, and when a hose on mine broke, my car would delay and not want to start up right away.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The fuel pump is in the fuel tank. You access it buy removing the rear parcel shelf and undoing the access port on the top. The whole unit comes out.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Most cars with inertial switches on their fuel pumps have an access port somewhere in the car to reset them. It should be easy to do once you find the location.

2. If you smacked the wall hard, make sure that you check ALL the engine, transmission and differential mounts. I broke ALL of them except the right differential mount in a sideways slide into a concrete wall.

3. Be prepared for more issues than you think once you open up the repair job.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:43 AM

Based on a perusal of the Helms manual, it appears that there's no such switch to be set on this car. No starts troubleshooting in the manual includes checking the fuel pump. It's possible that the pump has died, a connector came off (or the power circuit is otherwise broken) or maybe the feed line to the engine is crimped. I suspect that a reading of the ECU would give you a code to help diagnose the problem.

I had a low-speed accident with my '97 Prelude that punched in the grill, lights, hood, etc. Didn't look like much but the whole car was dead. Turns out the 100 amp main fuse had blown. You might want to check all fuses (especially the one for the fule pump) to ensure they're intact. It could be a nice simple/cheap fix...
Old 12-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The USDM Manual won't have any info on a inertia switch, as it's in Euro cars.

Quick Reply: car doesnt start after track accident