S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car died while driving doesn't start anymore

Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say do a valve adjustment from reading your other topic that you started.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 AM

Or it could be maf or ground related.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by seoul2k
I had the same issue as you did. It ended up being the injectors. There's a misfire thread on here that's a great place to start.
If you let it run long enough you'll throw code that isn't pending like the 1399. You'll get a code like 0302 0301 0303 0304 the last number telling you which cylinder it is misfiring from.
Here's what i did to fix my misfire issue

I started with the cheaper things. Bought brand new NGK 7772 spark plugs Idled better, but still occasional misfires
changed out the coil packs (drove around for 40 miles with no issues then when I let the car idle waiting for my next class to start it started to misfire again.) Have no idea why only on idle but when i drove the car it was fine

Decided to change out the injectors and it sort of fixed the issue.

mine ended up being a faulty wire harness.... I guess it got messed up somehow, but I did notice that the injector wires had cracked a bit.

You could also do a leak down and compression test to see if you might need some head work done. Hopefully it doesn't come down to this, but if you need any parts I have every one of these for sale lol....

7176442144 give me a call or text if you need help or any parts. i also have an ecu for sale for a 02-03

Thanks for the reply. It seems from the symptoms you're describing is strictly a misfire issue. I have changed the spark plugs, switched over new ecu and coil packs and the same results are there. It sounds like from what you're describing is that your car was able to drive but just an occasional putting of the exhaust. My issue is that the car won't stay on at all unless i keep my foot on the gas pedal and as soon as I release it, the car dies. I don't believe these problems are similar but I'm not familiar with misfire issues so could this be a symptom of a real bad case of misfire(s)?

And the other thread I started was an issue before this one. The answer to that issue was faulty coil packs so I changed them out and it was driving normally until this issue came along.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Giuseppe@enjukuracing.com
Or it could be maf or ground related.

I've read somewhere on this forum that our cars don't have a MAF sensor and that the MAP sensor replaced its function and some. I've also checked all grounds in the engine bay and under the driver side near the ECU. I've also checked all the wires to see if there were any loose or frayed wires but didn't find any. I haven't loosened the ground wire since a year and a half ago to do some underside cleaning and sand down the chassis to make a better ground.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM

I had some time after class today so I worked on my car a bit. I read somewhere that some start issues could be that the Crank Position Sensor could be faulty and that sometimes the car would start without the sensor plugged in. I tried disconnecting the sensor and starting the car without and the results are still the same. I plan on borrowing a Crank Position Sensor and testing it on my car to see if that could be the issue even though there weren't any DTCs for it. I also removed my fuel injectors to inspect them and clean them while they're out just in case the filters were getting clogged or some unknown issue. I also have a friend's fuel injectors that I'll try on my car as well. This is really frustrating and I really don't want to tow the car to a mechanic. Any advice will be appreciated!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM

I would test the compression. I would also test the fuel pressure in the hopes that it's a bad fuel pressure regulator. Speaking of, go ahead and take a look at the FPR to make sure everything looks like it's working properly. Remove the vacuum hose and look to see if there's fuel inside. If there is, then the diaphragm is torn and the FPR needs to be replaced. If there is not any fuel, leave the vacuum hose off to help boost pressure and see if that helps it start/run.

The bad ECU worries me though. Have you traced all of your engine harness to make sure nothing has frayed or come loose?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:15 AM

so the car doesnt start at all anymore? check the timing. happened to my first motor and it ended up being a spun bearing
Old 11-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
I would test the compression. I would also test the fuel pressure in the hopes that it's a bad fuel pressure regulator. Speaking of, go ahead and take a look at the FPR to make sure everything looks like it's working properly. Remove the vacuum hose and look to see if there's fuel inside. If there is, then the diaphragm is torn and the FPR needs to be replaced. If there is not any fuel, leave the vacuum hose off to help boost pressure and see if that helps it start/run.

The bad ECU worries me though. Have you traced all of your engine harness to make sure nothing has frayed or come loose?

Thanks for the response. It's been a while since I've updated due to traveling for school interviews. I got a chance today after class to test out the new ECU that came in. I bought a used 2005 ECU from eBay so as to not bother my friend for his. I took out my injectors and cleaned them with some carburetor cleaner and installed them back in. Put in the new ECU and started the car. It took a couple of tries but finally got it started but the symptoms seem the same. I kept the engine running until it warmed up to at least 2 bars on temperature gauge. I then jumped out of the car and ran towards the throttle cable before the engine died and kept the engine going to listen for noises. Apart from the uneven idle I did notice that the Fuel Pressure Regulator was leaking fuel about one drop every 3 seconds. Maybe this is the culprit? Gonna bother my friend to borrow his off of his car. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 PM

I was able to work on the car today. I switched out my FPR for my friend's and tried starting the car, still same symptoms. Actually, the car didn't even start this time. I'm all out of ideas and if anyone has any it'd be greatly appreciated. Other than that, gonna tow the car to a local shop next week to have it looked at.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM

I don't know if this sounds dumb, but when my alternator failed on a 1991 Toyota celica the car would not crank over, hence the batter was already dead. I think you can rule out the battery and Alternator. Seems like a fuel related problem to me, but I am not sure. Perhaps the car running lean could be the result of a bad fuel pump, not just the FPR. Go to the source of the system. Fuel pump could be clogged. My guess would be that a faulty fuel pump could result in the car randomly dying... no gas = no go. Excuse my posting if I am completely wrong..

Quick Reply: Car died while driving doesn't start anymore